SS Brewtech Grain Mill Rollers not Parallel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doesn't Blichmann have a similar mill. If so, how does the Blichmann compare?

I realize probably all these mills are made in Chinese prison factories...

I just got the Blichmann grain mill. My rollers are even further off. They're about 22% different between sides. I contacted their support and apparently the engineers seem to think it's totally fine. I tried to run some grain through it and the mill jammed up. Here's a video I took of it jamming up. This is the original video I sent them, and they said this was totally fine. I've been incredibly disappointed with the entire process. After spending this much money on a mill I expected it to be more precise than the Barley crusher I had before it. I can understand mistakes with a mill getting past QA, but then to have support tell me it was fine is incredible disappointing. When their supplied gap gauge was showing the gap to be WAY off I thought it was going to be an easy exchange. Instead they told me to run some grain through it first and waste more time waiting to get a properly working mill. Of course just running some grain through it sounds like a super quick and simple task, but this thing is a beast and I can't just set it on a bucket and test it. There's assembly and setup before even being able to put grain through it.

I'm starting to think that all these pseudo-pro mills, regardless of manufacturer, are just total crap and not worth a fraction of what they go for... :mad:

I'm starting to think that all these pseudo-pro mills, regardless of manufacturer, are just total crap and not worth a fraction of what they go for... :mad:

Geared monster mill 3 will be my next purchase. Assuming my original monster mill 3 ever kicks the bucket in my lifetime.

The Blichmann one is a beast. I'm hoping the roller issues are just a freak issue I ran into and not a common problem. It's hard to find many reviews for it right now, so it's hard to know if other people are having issues with it. Hopefully we'll start seeing more people put up reviews or, if they have problems, posts about issues.

On a good note they got back to me first thing this morning and are shipping out a new one along with a return label for this one. Now to figure out how to package this one back up to return.

A pricey mill stalling on barley malt with an .055" gap is astounding. Unless there's something magical about that mill an .055" gap seems unlikely to do a thorough job to begin with never mind stress the mill.

Good that they are replacing it. Hopefully the replacement has trued rollers. Sheesh...

Cheers!

Guess Blichmann is out too, this is really disappointing. I think the only solution I'm aware of at this point is to stick with something like a Monster Mill that you can actually adjust.

Having picked up a CK mill just a couple of years ago I'm not in the market, but if I was I'd definitely go with some kind of gear-driven-roller mill and not have to deal with the issues passive rollers bring...

Cheers!

The Blichmann one is geared. I'm guessing I just got really unlucky with a defective one, but I'll find out soon (hopefully this weekend).

The Blichmann one is geared. I'm guessing I just got really unlucky with a defective one, but I'll find out soon (hopefully this weekend).

I don't understand how these mills can be so far off. It sounds like poor design and/or assembly.. how hard is it to make it adjustable like a MM? Who is making these decisions, it really doesn't make sense. Hopefully any other companies looking to make a mill are taking notice...

This apparently is not an "adjustability" issue, it's a manufacturing problem with the rollers that results in an excessively non-centric rotation (I guess that's termed "run-out" - something a dial gauge can show).

It should not amount to a space shuttle launch wrt difficulty to machine rollers that turn true. If there's any run-out in either of the rollers in my el cheapo CK mill, it's not evident. It would seem these fancy mills have sourced their critical components from the lowest bidding machine shop.

Cheers!

This apparently is not an "adjustability" issue, it's a manufacturing problem with the rollers that results in an excessively non-centric rotation (I guess that's termed "run-out" - something a dial gauge can show).

It should not amount to a space shuttle launch wrt difficulty to machine rollers that turn true. If there's any run-out in either of the rollers in my el cheapo CK mill, it's not evident. It would seem these fancy mills have sourced their critical components from the lowest bidding machine shop.

Cheers!

That sounds about right. The error between the gaps was consistent at all of the crush settings. Now if it was an assembly issue that had one of the rollers out of alignment, or if one of the rollers just wasn't machined to proper specs is beyond me. I was tempted to take it apart and see which problem it was, as I have the tools and a caliper to check. The problem being this was a -very- expensive mill and I didn't want any of the milling problems to be blamed on me for taking it apart to try and fix it (or finding the problem). If they want me to do that, while having a new one sent out, I'm more than happy to. I'm guessing they want it as is so they can narrow down the exact problem on their own and prevent it from happening in the future.

I've just been frustrated because I spent so much money on this with the thinking I wouldn't run into this issue, as my old Barley Crusher (11 years old) was now having a similar problem with the rollers being all jacked up. The problem was the Barley Crusher was that the rollers were just worn and certain spots were worn down more than others. It was causing some really bad mash issues that caused a great deal of frustration. I'm of the thought with tools that I'd rather buy once and cry once over having to buy multiple times for a lesser tool. Turns out this time I bought once and cried a bunch hah. Luckily they're covering the shipping on the replacement and return, because a 71lb crate is not cheap to ship.

I ran at least 3000 pounds of malt through my Barley Crusher and totally wore out the knurling - in one direction.

After I bought the CK mill to keep things moving in the brewery, I took the BC apart and flipped the rollers over so the opposite edges of the knurling were in play. It then pulled as good as ever - but required the power source to run in the opposite rotation, which for my gear motor would be a disadvantage as it produces about 20% lower torque when run in reverse from its best direction.

So the BC is now set at an 0.025" gap for milling wheat and oats, driven with my DeWalt 20V drill, allowing me to avoid re-gapping the CK. Life is good :)

Cheers!

Well the replacement mill came in from Blichmann. It's even worse as there's some metal grinding somewhere in it.

It's their new way to add trace metals in the wort that we've apparently been missing 😂 Seriously though, doesn't anyone have QC anymore?

Any updates on this? I was ready to get the Blichmann mill, but am concerned about it now as well.

Well the replacement mill came in from Blichmann. It's even worse as there's some metal grinding somewhere in it.

Sorry to revive an old thread. Just curious what happened with your blichmann mill issue. I got one that has a 0.010 difference. Support said it wouldn’t matter. I’ve been battling inconsistent mash efficiency ever since. In discussions with them now.

Jeeze, a 10 mil wobble is actually huge considering a typical barley malt gap is around .030-something.
Very disappointing to read that John B's company could be so disinterested in quality...

Jeeze, a 10 mil wobble is actually huge considering a typical barley malt gap is around .030-something.
Very disappointing to read that John B's company could be so disinterested in quality...

I'm hoping there's hope. They have responded, and said the mills do have an internal adjustment to make them parallel, they are searching for a spare piece for that adjustment.

I brought this to their attention when I purchased the mill, and after a couple exchanges it came to the message below. I wouldn't care except that my mash efficiency is all over the place. I brewed the exact same recipe twice and got a mash efficiency of 63% and 72%. So, obviously they are delusional that a feeler gauge is not important and the mill gap should be the mill gap without a huge variation. I can't think of any other reason I would get that sort of variance on the same recipe with my BrewEasy Classic.

"As far as our testing and measuring went, we were able to find similar deviations in the gap from side to side and have since updated our statement on gap settings:

The Blichmann Pro grain Mill is a precision machined tool, but all manufacturing has some degree of tolerance. Our specification for gap variation is +/-0.005 inches (about the thickness of two hairs). This tolerance has proven to easily produce an ASBC “normal” grist crush. The fine adjustments on the mill will allow you to easily dial in your mill for your desired lauter and mash efficiency. How a mill performs in a brewery is more important that how it stands up to a feeler gauge. If you are having problems achieving your desired crush parameters, set the desired gap using a feeler gauge in the middle of the rollers to average out the deviation. Then check the ends to verify they are within the above tolerance."

You have double the wobble as that spec considers. Plus there's the whole metal grinding thing.

I felt fortunate to have a one-on-one email conversation with John Blichmann almost two decades ago and at the time found him to be quite agreeable as a fellow engineer and receptive to my considerations. That apparently his company is standing behind a wobbling, metal grinding grain "mill", does not fit the mental image I've held for all these years.

Hoping you get this sorted in a rational manner...

Cheers!

I felt fortunate to have a one-on-one email conversation with John Blichmann almost two decades ago and at the time found him to be quite agreeable as a fellow engineer and receptive to my considerations. That apparently his company is standing behind a wobbling, metal grinding grain "mill", does not fit the mental image I've held for all these years.

I don't know what's going on with the company, but I do know that John is retiring. At the end of this month, IIRC.

I had the metal grinding thing on my Blichmann mill as well, and it sounded exactly like the sounds that dipa2 is getting. Turns out it was the blades on the cooling fan hitting the black metal safety guard covering the blades. I contacted Blichmann and they sent me a new safety guard which I installed and the grinding sound went away.

Sorry, I created confusion here. It was tyler180 that had the metal grinding. I just had a non-parallel gap, off by 0.010 side to side. Blichmann support just got back to me. They found a spare plate that they said I can replace on my mill to get the gap parallel. Hopefully, this fixed the inconsistent mash efficiencies I'm had 🤞🤞. We'll see.

Back