Ss brew bucket mod

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcs401

Reaction score
So I am thinking about getting the SS brew bucket that's had good reviews so far. Especially since I can get one right now with %20 off. I really would love a true conical but right now with a baby on the way $400 or more on a fermenter is a bit much. I am wondering if anyone has or thinks it would be possible to add a yeast "dump" valve to the bottom of the brew bucket? View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1440432531.926278.jpg

I have one, and have used it several times. My main issue with the brew bucket is that you can't see where your trub line is (not that you can in a conical either), so you don't know where to position your racking arm to avoid it. However, after a few rackings, I've noticed that if you point your racking arm down as far as it will go, and rack until the beer clears, it'll create a nice little divot in the trub. Then the rest of your beer comes out nice and clear (make sure to cold crash for a few days to compact the trub).

Even if you extended the legs somehow, I really don't think there's enough space to put a bottom dump valve on the bucket. One, the bottom ends in a sharp point, so any valve off the exact bottom wouldn't be possible, and if you raised it a little, you'd be roughly at the racking arm valve level anyway.

Are you looking to harvest yeast with the bottom valve? You could always do this after racking by swirling and dumping into mason jars. If you're looking to "secondary" in the bucket by removing the trub, a lot of people will tell you that's not really necessary, especially with a conical bottom where the contact area with the yeast cake is minimized, and even more so if you keg, where your keg can effectively act as a secondary fermenter.

Yes I was trying to use it as a secondary as well. Was hoping to be able to put a valve on and dump so I could secondary or lager but as stated I could I guess just use one of my kegs as secondary and transfer to a clean serving keg I would t even have to let the beer hit oxygen by using a jumper so that's a plus.

Just didn't know if there were any main drawbacks to the bucket over the true conical besides the dump valve

Just didn't know if there were any main drawbacks to the bucket over the true conical besides the dump valve

Aside from the bottom dump port:

1) You can pressure transfer in a true conical (I think most are rated to about 5 psi). Supposedly you can pressure transfer from a brewbucket at ~2 psi, but I haven't tried it.

2) Most conicals have a top port for easy addition of dry-hops, and with the brewbucket you have to open the whole lid.

I haven't used a conical, so that's all I can think of, but the brewbucket is my favorite fermenter among buckets/carboys, primarily for the ease of racking, cleaning/sanitation, and zero risk of shattering.

Yes I was trying to use it as a secondary as well. Was hoping to be able to put a valve on and dump so I could secondary or lager but as stated I could I guess just use one of my kegs as secondary and transfer to a clean serving keg I would t even have to let the beer hit oxygen by using a jumper so that's a plus.

Or just serve from your keg/secondary as a lot of us do...the first pint or two might be a bit "yeasty", but after that they're usually good!

hi guys is my first collaboration, excuse my English is not my first language, I have few days ago a bucket brew and I've made some modifications, like putting a thermometer, but analog, now I'm going to put on the bottom, a tap to remove yeast, such as welding stainless steel is a bit expensive and have a limited budget, doing a little research I found this solution.AST-RTV 27110 Food Grade White 100% Silicone Adhesive/Sealant/Instant Gasket is on sale at amazon.In a few days i gonna upload some pictures.

IMG-20160506-WA0011.jpg

IMG-20160506-WA0010.jpg

IMG-20160506-WA0009.jpg

IMG-20160506-WA0008.jpg

IMG-20160506-WA0007.jpg

IMG-20160506-WA0006.jpg

IMG-20160506-WA0005.jpg

IMG-20160506-WA0004.jpg

Last edited:
juanlucero - Any posts on the results? leaks? I'm a little nervous drilling away on a $200 fermenter.

Squirting in some silicone adhesive onto NPT threads is a leakage and sanitary disaster in the making. A far, far better solution would be just buying another valve from SS Brew Tech for $25:

http://www.ssbrewtech.com/collections/accessories/products/miniballvalvewnewrackingarm

And of course some #114 EPDM o-rings, which are a mandatory upgrade over their o-rings, which will tear and get squeezed through the hole.

The SS Brewtech valve may not fit mounted vertically, so may have to be angled. Who knows.

Back