SS Brew Bucket - Big Beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joegbeer

Reaction score
Brewed a 1.109 gravity stout. 5.25 gallons into fermenter. Used Imperial Darkness yeast. Was happy with the attenuation and it ate through 95% of the gravity in < 3 days. Left in primary 9-10 days. Then cold crashed 5 days. FG 1.024.

Problem was kegging time. Hooked up the hose to the spigot to rack. Turned the racking arm from 4 oclock facing slight down during fermentation to straight up 12 oclock. Expected some yeast, after watching a yeast plug move slowly for 10 minutes, I siphoned it.

The yeast was a slurry from above the thermowell and fairly compact not to far under it. I've never seen a post-fermentation yeast bed that deep. I only racked 3 gallons of beer because the rest of it was slurry or yeast and basically unrackable.

Two questions:
1) Is it common to have that much beer lost post fermentation on a big beer like this?
2) I liked the Imperial Darkness, but it looked like a medium to low floccuation. Should I be targeting a high floccuating yeast like wlp-007 so I can rack more end product?

Last edited:
I haven't made one that big, but I did use Imperial Darkness (1.098) and my yeast bed didn't reach up to the racking arm. I always leave my racking arm at 3'oclock which doesn't pick up an appreciable amount of yeast, but makes it really easy to slowly clock towards six as I get some bubbles near the end.

I've done mostly IPAs and imp IPAs in mine and one RIS that made it to 10.5 %. Never had that problem. All of my yeast cakes have been below my racking arm. I use us05 and us04 mostly and keep my arm parked at 3 o'clock during fermentation.

If I had not cold crashed for 5 days, I wonder how much less of the batch would have been rackable. My only idea at this point is to try a higher floc yeast for my next big beer.

That's really odd--I made a RIS with it a couple of months ago with similar OG/FG as you and had no problems even with added lactose. I didn't cold crash, but I made a large starter. I'm happy enough with it that I'll use it again. I'm guessing you just used one pack of it?

That's really odd--I made a RIS with it a couple of months ago with similar OG/FG as you and had no problems even with added lactose. I didn't cold crash, but I made a large starter. I'm happy enough with it that I'll use it again. I'm guessing you just used one pack of it?

Because of the high gravity, beersmith was telling me I needed something in the 300-400M cell range. So I pitched 2 packets of Imperial Darkness.

Back