SS braid or False Bottom?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AGadvocate

Reaction score
I just finished my 10th batch of AG. My MT set up is a 10 gallon round igloo cooler with a SS braided supply line. Out of the 10 batches I have only hit 70% efficiency once. On average I'm in the low to mid 60's. My grain crush is fine and I fly sparge about 4 gallons in an hour. I've also tried batch sparging once just to see if it made a difference. I still ended up in the low 60's %
would a false bottom help at all? I know people use the SS braids and get better efficiency than me. Any ideas?

I use the kettle screen from bargainfittings.com. I also use a corona style mill to crush my grain and probably crush a bit too fine as I get quite a bit of flour. I have great efficiency and I have never had a stuck sparge. I also do not use rice hulls. I am a fan of both the kettle screen designs as well as bargainfittings.com.

false bottom - started with a braid and switched after it was quickly crushed. i have a 12 inch domed false bottom in a keg mash tun - soon that will be replaced by one a welder should be knocking out.

I just switched from a false bottom to a stainless braid and still hit around 77-80%. Got tired of stuck sparges from grain getting underneath it. Used the false bottom for about 2 years but I'll never go back.

Last 2 batches used braid and fly Sparge in a 10 gallon cooler. Both hit 77%. seems to be the most consistent setup I have had so far. I have tried false bottom, BIAB, and batch Sparge with false bottom and my numbers were not consistent. 65 to 85 %.
But it also could be that my overall process is getting better.

Corona mill, 10 gallon Rubbermaid cooler with 3/4 inch braid never had a stuck sparge (I only batch sparge) I did a Porter Friday and got 73% I am going to crush even finer, until it gets sticky.

Back