SS Braid Efficiency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackHat

Reaction score
What kind of efficiencies are all you SS braid users getting? I have a round, 5-gallon cooler I use for 2.5 gallon batches. It looks like a standard 12 inch braid will be a little too big for my cooler. I imagine this will cause the end of the braid to bend or kink - will this affect efficiency?

I calculate my recipes using 75%, but almost always achieve 80% or better. My braid has a piece of perforated vinyl tubing inside, to keep it from collapsing under the grain bed. Works great...very little vorlaufing required, and I've never had a stuck or slow sparge.

I was hitting 85% with a stainless braid. When I first used it, I just crimped the end, and it of course floated, giving me 70%. I thin pushed in a brass threaded hex cap to weigh it down and then I started to get 85%. I also used FiveStar 5.2 in my batches.

The end cap (or similar to keep the end down), I think, is really key for braids.

I used to get 70% with precrushed grain . On the last 2 batches with the new BC I am getting around 85%+ I need to adjust the recipes accordingly .. I overshot the OG for Edworts Bavarian Hefeweizen by .016

I used to get 70% with precrushed grain . On the last 2 batches with the new BC I am getting around 85%+ I need to adjust the recipes accordingly

I had a similiar jump after getting my own mill. I bumped my Beersmith settings up to 75%, but I almost always get 80% and if the mash goes flawlessly (temps, volumes and times just right) I get 85%. Several of my batches have been bumped right out of the style guidelines for ABV...which worries me not a bit!! :cross:

I do think a larger braid is better, even for batch sparging. A 2" braid just doesn't provide much surface area...with a larger one, even if part of it gets clogged, there is plenty of filter left to do the job.

Latest posts

Back