Squatters Hop Rising

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeeppilot

Reaction score
I'm looking for a clone of Squatters Hop Rising IIPA. For those who haven't tried it, it's an amazing IIPA with a well balanced malt profile. I'm dying to try and replicate this but I'm not experienced enough to make my own attempt at it.

Not a clone, exactly, but a starting place, based on Beer Advocate reviews and Squatters's website.

Volume 5.5 gallons
Boil volume 7.5 gallons
Mash 2 hours at 150 degF, 1.5 qts./lb.

Fermentables
Pale two-row 12 lbs.
Munich 4 lbs.
C40L 1 lb.
Sugar (I would favor turbinado or piloncillo) 1 lb.

Hops
Chinook & Warrior, 0.5 oz. ea., 30 min.
Chinook & Warrior, 0.5 oz. ea., 20 min.
Chinook & Warrior, 0.5 oz. ea., 10 min.
Chinook & Warrior, 0.5 oz. ea., dry hop, 3-7 days

Yeast
In dry, I would favor Danstar BRY-97. For liquid, WY1332 Northwest.

SG 1091
FG 1024
ABV 8.9
IBU 75
SRM 12

I live in SLC and drink this beer quite often. You will need a lot more hops than 2 oz. You probably need at least 6 oz in dry hopping. I get a lot of simcoe/chinook/centennial in the nose. This is more of a piney, earthy, resiny IPA rather than a west coast citrus bomb.

I find this beer to be on the malty side of a DIPA, but would still not add a whole pound of crystal malt to a DIPA.

I would propose more along the lines of the following:

Mash at 149-150
90% 2 row
10% Light Munich
Agree with the 1 lb of sugar.
(if there is crystal in this beer, it would probably be no more than 0.5 lbs of crystal 40)
Neural Bittering Charge at 60 min (~50-60 IBUs)
4 oz of hops at flameout and let steep for 30 minutes (Chinook/Simcoe/Columbus)
6 oz of dry hops (Chinook/Simcoe/Columbus - maybe a small amount of Citra)
Pitch a lot of 001/1056/S-05. Ferment at 67.

Brew, sample and adjust as necessary.

I'm going to do a 2 gallon batch with a little crystal in it to help match the color. I'll update this thread afterwards. Thanks for the ideas!

Try this,
90% 2 Row
6% Munich 10
4% Crystal 60
1lbs Dextrose for 5 gallons

Bitter with columbus, columbus at the end of boil. Dry hop mainly with Bravo with a touch of columbus and cascade.

Wyeast london ale yeast.

Trust me, this will get you very very close.

I'm going to do a 2 gallon batch with a little crystal in it to help match the color. I'll update this thread afterwards. Thanks for the ideas!
Soo...I will fully acknowledge that this was from 5 years ago...but did you ever do this batch? This beer is one of my faves and I'd love to try a clone of it soon.

I just did this recipe. Really really close
Bravo hops are the secret, dry hop with .5 oz of all hops

ABB1F8C2-5D2B-4609-9834-A20B6E1DC71F.png
ABB1F8C2-5D2B-4609-9834-A20B6E1DC71F.png

No. Very unique hop. You can taste it, in a side by side comparison with the original and then a different IPA.

Latest posts

Back