SQ-14 didn't keep a boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BaldManBrew

Reaction score
I started off with approx 5 gallons of wort which the unit did eventually get to a boil. At the end of the 60 min boil, it wasn't even boiling...is this normal? I tried adjusting the air intake, and everything else was wide open. Nothing would get this thing to boil again. Granted I had a lot of sugars now in the wort, but I don't think this should effect it. Another note, it was windy at times, but not all the time.

Thanks, patiently awaiting responses

My SQ-14 will boil 13 gallons + with no problem; even in the wind...

What was your propane level? I've heard that sometimes when propane gets low it sort of freezes up.

Also, make sure you turn off the Sq14 valve, then the propane, disconnect the burner, then reconnect...I've heard of safety-type features that can cause a cessation or reduction in propane if the steps to turn it on/off aren't completely followed...

I have used a SQ14 burner (BG-12) to keep 21 gallons of plain water at a rolling boil. Even with a high gravity wort, the boiling point won't rise but 1-2 degrees I would guess.

If you haven't yet, you need to adjust your air disc by raising the flame to a "high" level, and turning the air disc until you see just a touch of yellow at the tips of the blue flames. Also, you may need to adjust the distance from the burner to the bottom of the kettle - what is that gap now? I keep mine about 2.5" from the top of the burner to the bottom of the kettle. Flames, on high, will almost start to lick the outsides of the pot.

If your propane valve was wide open as well, it may have been too far open. When the propane is rushing out of the burner faster than it can combust, it will actually serve to extinguish itself. At least the way I have it rigged up, there's no way I can let it rip wide open without blowing itself out.

I had 3/4 of a tank, albeit a couple years old. I did adjust the air disc several times from wide open, to 1/2 choked to ..well anything under might as well been birthday candles under the thing.

I didn't know you could adjust the height of the burner...I'll have to look at it again. It didn't' seem like that difficult of a piece of machinery, I don't know how I could have over looked that.

How cold was it out? I just ran my burner so hard for a double brew day Saturday it iced up and would not even light to heat the sparge water for the second batch. It was 40 here in MN at the time and I was in my garage. Maybe you ran it too hard and froze up the tank a bit if it was cold out?

My air disk on the BG-12 is roughly 1/3 open. I use a 0-20psi adjustable regulator but I couldn't tell you exactly what pressure it's set at. I fashioned my own wind guards out of galvanized sheet that seem to work relatively well, but under high winds they can have a little trouble still.

If you have a SQ-14 with the burner attached to the stand, it may not be adjustable as-is. Many brewers custom re-fit their burners to adapt to brewing.

It was cold probably 45 or so. I'm definitely not getting the horsepower you guys are saying you are having.

The OPD valves on tanks now a days have a internal safety that must be pushed open by the connector that you attach from your burner. Make sure you tighten your connection enough or the valve will not be pushed open enough. This will make your propane flow slower resulting in a smaller flame at the burner.

http://www.propane101.com/valveopennopropane.htm

You should be able to turn up your burner enough that the flame will jump off the burner tips considerably, sounds like you're just not getting enough propane flowing with your setup.

Also make sure your burner valve is off when you open the tank valve. There is some sort of protection device in the burner valve that limits the propane flow if the tank valve is opened while the burner valve is open. Make sure everything is closed, then open tank valve, then burner valve.

Back