Spunding valve outside refrigerater?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kody

Reaction score
I am building a spunding valve for my sankey fermenter, its going to be used in tempeture controlled fermenting of lagers and for lagering Itself. I have removed both check valves from the sankey tap, and put a ball lock fitting on the beer post for filling and racking. My spunding valve will attach to the gas out post via a tube that goes outside the fridge to the regulator itself and the regulator to an airlock. Both will be mounted outside of the fridge. Ill have a tempeture controller on the fridge too.

Does anyone see any issue with this setup?

I have been looking at spunding valve set-up myself. What is the purpose of having the valve & air-lock outside of the fridge?
Also, it seems like the spunding valve would better serve its purpose during the D-rest period, not the actual lagering period. Am I wrong?

edit...disregard. Just read about the benefits of lagering under pressure. Pretty cool.
About the device being outside of the fridge, is that just so you can monitor it and make adjustments without opening the conditioned space?

Yes, it would help with keeping the door shut and the tempeture, also easy monitoring and adjustment, as you can already adjust the temp from outside. But it will keep a positive pressure from building up inside the minifridge and upening the door seal periodically. But that is what I was doing, lagering under pressure. It will be at about 15psi the whole way through, according to my research. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Good thinking on the pressure build up & very interesting.
I'd love to see some pictures of your set-up in action once you get it going.

Back