Spunding Valve Newbie Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ImNewToBrew

Reaction score
Hoping someone can help me with this...since Im new to using a spunding valve.

I needed my fermentation chamber for an upcoming brew so I thought this would be a perfect opportunity to try out my spunding valve. I have 6pts of gravity left to go.

Prior to this I tested out the empty keg + spunding valve and it held pressure fine for hours.

So I racked the beer like normal, cleared the headspace, put some pressure on it, 10lbs, and put on the spunding valve. This morning I woke up and the gauge read 0psi. Is this expected with a spunding valve??

My initial thought was that the CO2 had been absorbed into the beer and that there wasnt enough headspace pressure to register on the gauge. But I really expected it to equalize and have a few psi still reading on the gauge even if some got absorbed. Is all of this normal?

I did try to pull the lid and reseat it, and went through the same procedure a second time, but I had the same result, it returned to 0psi in about 12 hours.

Thanks for the response...my thoughts are that given the gravity had held constant for a few days, it might be a while to finish attenuating since it appears fermentation is slowing down, in which case its possible CO2 has been absorbed.

But I dont get why the gauge would read, 0 unless the very low pressure is not easily recognized on these gauges. You can see the before and after pics here.

I dont believe there is a leak because the keg tested fine just before racking. Just a bit confused.

IMG_0897-1.jpg

IMG_0898-1.jpg

Last edited:
Hoping someone can help me with this...since Im new to using a spunding valve.

I needed my fermentation chamber for an upcoming brew so I thought this would be a perfect opportunity to try out my spunding valve. I have 6pts of gravity left to go.

Prior to this I tested out the empty keg + spunding valve and it held pressure fine for hours.

So I racked the beer like normal, cleared the headspace, put some pressure on it, 10lbs, and put on the spunding valve. This morning I woke up and the gauge read 0psi. Is this expected with a spunding valve??

My initial thought was that the CO2 had been absorbed into the beer and that there wasnt enough headspace pressure to register on the gauge. But I really expected it to equalize and have a few psi still reading on the gauge even if some got absorbed. Is all of this normal?

I did try to pull the lid and reseat it, and went through the same procedure a second time, but I had the same result, it returned to 0psi in about 12 hours.

Did you ever figure this out? I'm experiencing the exact same thing, I also suspect that fermentation just completed/any remaining yeast went dormant after the transfer.

I've followed the same steps adding more co2 the following day but again it just either absorbs into the beer or dissipates.

I have a feeling it is absorption because in my case, I turned the spunding valve completely closed and the pressure still dropped a little bit on the gauge.

If the gauge falls to zero, pull the pressure relief valve. If there is no *pst* from gas escaping, then you have a leak.

The gas works to find equilibrium in the keg. It doesn't just get consumed by the beer. So if there is too much pressure in the head space, some gas is absorbed by the beer. But your keg should hold pressure even as low as 1-2 psi.

Check your o-rings, apply keg lube to the seals, and try again

I have the same 'control devices' pressure relief valve, and I do not believe they are very reliable at holing a set pressure. The markings themselves aren't reliable or consistent.

It will definitely hold pressure when at full tension, but for me, the moment you try to regulate it, it isn't consistent, and it would not surprise me if it was leaking at lower tensions.

Back