Spud + Element Issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maxkling

Reaction score
Ive seen where some people have had issues getting their elements to thread into the 1" NPT spuds. I bought 2 types of camco elements and they both do not even come close to wanting to thread into the spuds.

I'm reaching out to see if I can get some model #'s for the elements that people are using with spuds.

I'm also going to get a tap and run it through the spuds to clean them up and see if they may have distorted when I welded them on. The elements I bought thread perfectly fine into a 1" NPS lock nut I had.

Did you get the spuds from me or somewhere else? Worst case, you make the seal with teflon tape instead of the gasket.

You. I emailed you earlier. They wont thread enough to even seal with teflon tape.

The issue seems to be tolerances on the element bushings. We already know that they are 1" NPS threads and that spuds and half couplings are NPT (tapered). I now have a lot more sample elements around the shop to see the pattern. The elements with the turquoise block on the wiring end will not thread down the spud and the ones with the black plastic base work fine. The rub is that Camco comes in both depending on which manufacturer they happen to use for that particular run so going by brand doesn't help.

If you do know someone with a 1" NPT tap, you can definitely run it through all the way to open up the taper to get any element to fit. I'm less and less thrilled with the idea of using a spud for an element in light of this fit issue, but even moreso due to the face that my element enclosures don't have any application here.

Used 1" NPT tap and they thread in enough to seal with teflon. Passed leak test, I'm guessing they got a little buggered up when welding.

IMG_0859.jpg

I've had similar problem and found that I had been supplied a tapered male component for fitting into a straight female component, you barely get a turn in.
Check out your threads.

The issue seems to be tolerances on the element bushings. We already know that they are 1" NPS threads and that spuds and half couplings are NPT (tapered). I now have a lot more sample elements around the shop to see the pattern. The elements with the turquoise block on the wiring end will not thread down the spud and the ones with the black plastic base work fine. The rub is that Camco comes in both depending on which manufacturer they happen to use for that particular run so going by brand doesn't help.

If you do know someone with a 1" NPT tap, you can definitely run it through all the way to open up the taper to get any element to fit. I'm less and less thrilled with the idea of using a spud for an element in light of this fit issue, but even moreso due to the face that my element enclosures don't have any application here.

Thanks for the help and suggestions. I love the sight glasses.

Back