Springtime Strong Bitter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thehaze

Reaction score
I'm thinking it's Bitter time, seeing that warmer temperatures have been hitting this part of the world I currently live in. Simple recipe with English malts, yeast and hops.

97.5% Crisp Maris Otter
2.5% Thomas Fawcett Crystal 120L
Imperial A09 Pub
Bramling Cross 2018 + Goldings Cobb 2018
35 IBU
5.4% ABV
OG: 1.054 / FG: 1.013

What do you think?

Almost identical to my golden bitter recipe I brew each spring, except I keep it around 4.4% and prefer Golden Promise for the less honied character. Usually UK Challenger/EKG with a drier-minerally yeast like WLP022 or WLP006.

Really hard to beat these types of bitters for warm weather drinking.

I tried Imperial A09 once before and I thought it was really good, imparting some, if not all of those lovely esters and flavours I get from Fuller's ESB, London Pride, etc. So I thought I would give it another go, again with a straightforward recipe and English hops.

I like Maris Otter as base, and I do enjoy Golden Promise as well. Maybe next time I'll do half and half.

As for hops: Never used Goldings Cobb.

I made one recently using MO + MO Crystal (Bairds Heritage Series) and all Willamette hops and it came out very nice, I have to say. I used WY1968, but A09 would be great too.

You're in the right ballpark, now it's more a question of personal taste as "strong bitter" covers such a range of beers, it's more a dumping ground than a coherent "style". Personally I'd either up the bitterness a little from BU:GU 0.65 or play around a bit more with the grist. Nothing crazy, just a little brown or amber or something. And either way, a smidge of chocolate is nice, but only a tiny amount, like 0.8% or something.

And personally I would reduce the ABV a bit, but that's just because I tend to only drink British styles from cask, which generally means nothing more than 4.5%. But that's just what I'm used to.

And as always with British beer, don't overdo the carbonation.

As for hops: Never used Goldings Cobb.

Cobb is just one of the "official" Goldings clones, so you have probably bought some under the Goldings label in the past - it's one of the better yielding clones. Are those the Brook House ones that Malt Miller are selling? I've heard good things about them, but at the end of the day they are just Goldings. (nothing wrong with that, Goldings are great even outside Kent, just trying to set expectations)

The heatwave means that in general 2018 British hops have quite a "hard" bitterness, unfortunately the weather broke before the aromas could really develop. The 2018 Bramling Cross seem to have been particularly affected, the ones I've had don't have much of the typical blackcurrant fruitiness, they're much more like their Bramling mother (another of the Golding clones) - if you want blackcurrant then you're better off whirlpooling some 2017 Bullion.

I can't see how you could go wrong with that one, simple and probably going to be delicious. I just got a pack of A09 myself and overbuilt a starter which will be used in a couple of brews. I've come to really like Bramling Cross but it worries me a bit what @Northern_Brewer just said, I've got a bag of 2018 BX and will use it soon.

Yes, they are from TheMaltMiller, so BrookHouse. I will brew it on Friday and see what happens.

Regarding IBUs and adding a bit of Chocolate/Amber ---> I'll adjust to 40 IBUs. I only have a bit of Pale Chocolate. The current SRM is 8, so pretty light. I wouldn't neccessary go darker, but I guess the difference from 8 to 9 SRM would be too small even with a bit of Chocolate Malt.

I wouldn't sweat the additions too much - there's a lot to be said for keeping it simple and then working out what direction to take it based on what your personal taste is. I like both the more malty ones and the ones that are more like a "super bitter", but in general my taste is more Northern - more minerally and bitter even though strong bitters tend to be a bit less bitter (or at least a bit lower BU:GU if not actual lower IBU) than the equivalent best.

How do you want to get the attenuation you are pointing at in the recipe? I brought a 1.04 beer down to 1.01 with pub, but I used ten percent Lyle's and mashed long and low.

How do you want to get the attenuation you are pointing at in the recipe? I brought a 1.04 beer down to 1.01 with pub, but I used ten percent Lyle's and mashed long and low.

I plan on mashing at 65C/149F for 60 minutes. I thought about adding some plain beet sugar to the boil. Maybe something like 250 gr, but haven't decided yet. I do want the FG to go down to 1.010... hmmm.

I plan on mashing at 65C/149F for 60 minutes. I thought about adding some plain beet sugar to the boil. Maybe something like 250 gr, but haven't decided yet. I do want the FG to go down to 1.010... hmmm.
Then you need to mash much longer and lower and also add simple sugars. 90 min @ 62 would probably be a good start.

You could also co pitch something neutral like Nottingham. Probably 1day after it really got going in the fermenter would be a good time to throw in the notty.

Almost identical to my golden bitter recipe I brew each spring, except I keep it around 4.4% and prefer Golden Promise for the less honied character. Usually UK Challenger/EKG with a drier-minerally yeast like WLP022 or WLP006.

"Almost identical to my golden bitter recipe...except that I don't use any of the same ingredients or quantities..."

hey bierhaus15 what happened to your perfect pint blog? It doesnt seem to work anymore? There was some great info and recipes on there, is it all gone now?

"Almost identical to my golden bitter recipe...except that I don't use any of the same ingredients or quantities..."

Pro tip for next time you brewing your "SNPA clone that will never taste like the real thing;" process is more important than ingredient choice. You can achieve a similar result via different ingredients...

hey bierhaus15 what happened to your perfect pint blog? It doesnt seem to work anymore? There was some great info and recipes on there, is it all gone now?

Well, I hadn't touched it in years and I think it got deleted. Still brewing lots of bitters tho.

Pro tip for next time you brewing your "SNPA clone that will never taste like the real thing;" process is more important than ingredient choice. You can achieve a similar result via different ingredients...

Well, I hadn't touched it in years and I think it got deleted. Still brewing lots of bitters tho.

Thats a shame, even if it wasnt being updated, it was a great reference for british style recipes- I cant think of a better blog out there- at least for "contemporary" recipes. Glad your still brewin bitters though..

Back