Spring water.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plumeja

Reaction score
I have a spring that is not far from my moms. This spring has been there for generations and is tasty water would it be an idea do brew this water. Is there tests I should do??

You might want to have the water tested if you are not going to boil it. Most springs have more microbes than well water, even though they taste great and don't make you sick.

Go for it. I used water from a local spring for my first dozen batches or so. I didn't have any problems and it tasted great.

Natural spring water comes up from pockets in the bedrock. Most drill down to it. They do that in Australia. The spring water I use is from deep underground. If it works it's way up to the surface in a pool or something,then you'd probable want to use a 1 micron filter or so. Or boil it.
Otherwise,it sounds like a creek or small stream. That's ground water,like in a well. Not the same thing.

Rule of thumb in brewing is always: if the water tastes good, the beer will taste good.

For extract brews, it probably dun matter that much. For mashing though, the ions content will make damn big a difference.

I am not so concerned abt microbes since boiling will get rid of them significantly. I am more interested in knowing if the water has any kind of residue, etc. It will be prudent to filter the water first I guess.

Latest posts

Back