Spring Water vs. RO water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masaba

Reaction score
My local grocery store sells gallon jugs of Spring Water. On this forum, I see everyone talking about reverse osmosis water. Are these the same thing? Here is the process that the container states is used for the Spring water:

Processed by: Micron filtration, ozonation, ultraviolet light.

So, if I start with this water, can I add minerals according to the specifications that people recommend for RO water?

Thanks.

My local grocery store sells gallon jugs of Spring Water. On this forum, I see everyone talking about reverse osmosis water. Are these the same thing? Here is the process that the container states is used for the Spring water:

Processed by: Micron filtration, ozonation, ultraviolet light.

So, if I start with this water, can I add minerals according to the specifications that people recommend for RO water?

Thanks.

They are not the same. You should be able to get the specs on the Spring water from the manufacturers website and adjust from there.

Reverse osmosis removes most of the minerals thus you need some additions. Spring water still has most of the minerals, thus needs different additions.

That depends on the spring. If the water it produces in very low in mineralization then it is essentially the same as or at least close enough to RO water that you can treat it as RO water in terms of supplemental mineral additions. If not, then, no, you can't.

Best thing to do, if the manufacturer does not list the mineral content on the label (most do) or reveal it on a web site or in response to a phone call, is send a sample off to Ward Labs for analysis.

Thanks for the information.

My tap water isn't bad, I just think the alkalinity may be a bit high. So, instead of the Spring water, I may just mix distilled water with my tap and then add a few minerals to make sure I am in the target range.

Back