Anyone know mineral content of ice mountain spring water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fun4stuff

Reaction score
I usually use distilled or reverse osmosis water for brewing.

The last few times I’ve been to the grocery store (meijer) they’ve been all out of distilled and reverse osmosis water. People seem to be hoarding it.

Anyway, so i broke down and bought spring water instead. Not sure if i can really target a water profile with this though.

any solutions?

edit:
I just found this: Nestle water report. it’s from 2018. Maybe could just use this as a rough guess at its mineral content. 2019

Last edited:
With a TDS of only 10 mg/l you can treat it the same as RO water.

The TDS reporting limit was 10, the water range was 200-370. Looks like filtered tap water to me. I would just take the center of the ranges and go from there.

TDS 2018: 110-210
TDS 2019: 200-370

Not only are the ranges ridiculously wide, but also that's a big shift year to year. So what is it in any particular gallon in 2020? I dunno, but I wouldn't use it.

Per the report, it looks like there are upwards of a dozen sites where they collect water from for bottling, so I'm not surprised that the numbers vary so much. If you can get "drinking water" variety, it is run through an RO system.

Per the report, it looks like there are upwards of a dozen sites where they collect water from for bottling, so I'm not surprised that the numbers vary so much. If you can get "drinking water" variety, it is run through an RO system.

I guess this gives me motivation to install an RO system.

Meijer is the largest grocery store in our area and it’s all they had. Today is my day off to brew! I really don’t want to drive store to store looking for distilled water. The other closest store limits water to 1 gallon per person.

Im going to roll with it. I’ll just pick numbers in the middle. I’ll report back whether i hit my mash pH!

I guess this gives me motivation to install an RO system.

Meijer is the largest grocery store in our area and it’s all they had. Today is my day off to brew! I really don’t want to drive store to store looking for distilled water. The other closest store limits water to 1 gallon per person.

Im going to roll with it. I’ll just pick numbers in the middle. I’ll report back whether i hit my mash pH!
Blah. 5.8. Was shooting for 5.4. Aww well, i made beer i likes for years without ever messing with mash ph.

I buy my bottled water in 4 gal jugs at one of the big box hardware stores and found the water report online. That is another option besides the grocery stores.

Latest posts

Back