Spotted Lamb (Spotted Cow Inspired)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff...

Reaction score
I currently have a self developed spotted cow inspired recipe that I'm calling Spotted Lamb in the primary. It's inspired from the older spotted cow before New Glarus switched from corn in their grain bill.

I used 5 ounces of Indian flour corn, I grew in the garden last year instead of flaked corn. It wasn't too bad to process. I steamed the dry corn kernels until they burst, it's flour corn, not popcorn. Then I dried them out in the oven on a cookie sheet on low heat with the door cracked. Then ground it with my Corona mill and added to the grain bill and mashed as I would any other grains.

It's wrapping up fermention with Safale K-97, so I snuck a little taste test, so far so good.
IMG_20200401_213240656_HDR.jpg

If it finishes out good after 4 weeks of lagering. I'll post the recipe.

Last edited:
October 11, 2020 compared, with a few friend and wife, actual Spotted Cow (in bottles) vs the recipe I brewed (with the recipe from HBT).

Pale Ale Malt (47.5%)

Pils Malt (17.8%)
Flaked Maize (17.8%)
Dark Munich (5.5%)
Crystal 20L (5.5%)
Flaked Barley (6%)

Northern Brewer (9.4 IBUs, 60 minutes)
Saaz (4.8 IBUs, 30 minutes)

Wyeast 1056 (repitch, plenty of yeast)

Color: Spotted Cow: Yellow in color. My Spotted Cow: Darker yellow – somewhat orange. IMO, I think this is not knowing. IMO, my Spotted Cow is a Pale Ale color.

Taste: Unfortunately, the real Spotted Cow in bottles were, at this point, several years old (they were kept refrigerated, out of the sun, etc). Everyone like my version much better than the real beer. However, I thought the real Spotted Cow reminded me of a Belgian Blonde. Others didn’t know any better and had no opinion when I mentioned the Belgian Blonde I brewed in 2014.

Aroma: See Taste notes above.

In general: Perhaps for my next Spotted Cow I should use a Belgian yeast? I honestly believe the real Spotted Cow reminds me of the Brueghel Blonde Ale (North American Clone Brews, page 119).

I just brewed and tapped my first Spotted Cow clone attempt, based on this recipe I developed as a hybrid of advice I found on HBT:

55% 2-row
18% Vienna malt
5% flaked barley
18% corn
3% Crystal 20L

18 IBU Hallertauer @ 30 mins
1 IBU Hallertauer @ 5 mins

Wyeast 2565 Kolsch @ 66F

It's a very good cream ale, but not a Spotted Cow. My dad brought me a couple bottles of Spotted Cow, and though it has a similar haze, the color of SC is a few points closer to amber in SRM than mine.

Also I'm getting less bitterness, and more corn sweetness in mine, compared to the real deal.

I noticed one the bottle it calls out the Reinheinseboght, and only barley malt, no mention of corn.

So I did a bit more research and found the original recipe had 10% corn, but they removed the corn over GMO concerns and replaced it with low-protein malt. I've also read varying opinions on whether SC does or doesn't contain wheat malt, so I don't know what to think now

https://beerandbrewing.com/the-history-of-spotted-cow/
https://sconniebrew.wordpress.com/2...heir beers are,syrup when brewing Spotted Cow.

I just brewed and tapped my first Spotted Cow clone attempt, based on this recipe I developed as a hybrid of advice I found on HBT:

55% 2-row
18% Vienna malt
5% flaked barley
18% corn
3% Crystal 20L

18 IBU Hallertauer @ 30 mins
1 IBU Hallertauer @ 5 mins

Wyeast 2565 Kolsch @ 66F

It's a very good cream ale, but not a Spotted Cow. My dad brought me a couple bottles of Spotted Cow, and though it has a similar haze, the color of SC is a few points closer to amber in SRM than mine.

Also I'm getting less bitterness, and more corn sweetness in mine, compared to the real deal.

I noticed one the bottle it calls out the Reinheinseboght, and only barley malt, no mention of corn.

So I did a bit more research and found the original recipe had 10% corn, but they removed the corn over GMO concerns and replaced it with low-protein malt. I've also read varying opinions on whether SC does or doesn't contain wheat malt, so I don't know what to think now

https://beerandbrewing.com/the-history-of-spotted-cow/
https://sconniebrew.wordpress.com/2...heir beers are,syrup when brewing Spotted Cow.

Good feed back and input for this brew. Dang, wish I would pin this one down!

Back