Spotted Cow clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you have access to the original (on tap or in the bottle)?
Simplest thing possible at this point may be to start with the recipe that @Kent88 mentioned (above) and see if it results in an enjoyable beer on your system.

Northern Brewer kit recipes are generally good starting points for enjoyable clone / "taste alike" recipes.

Found this one also:

spotted cow.png

I made a decent attempt at Spotted Cow, but added too much corn and it ended up sweeter than the real thing.

Also note the corn in the original recipe has been replaced by "low protein malt" The History of Spotted Cow
Anyone know what type of malt this would be?

If you're going to build a recipe from scratch based on the current version, target 1.050 OG, 1.012 FG, 5.1% ABV, 20 IBUs of Hallertauer
low-protein Pils malt, white wheat, and some crystal according to the article

Wyeast 2565 Kolsch is definitely the correct yeast; that much I'm sure of

I just had Spotted Cow the other day. Use the all grain Speckled Heifer recipe from Northern Brewer with Briess 2 row instead of Rahr and that's so close. Oh and for the yeast wlp080 fermented around 65F. Make sure to give it some lagering time in kegs/bottles before consuming. I like to give it 3 weeks or so. That's close enough that if you didn't do a side by side I'd guess it was the real thing. I disagree wholeheartedly on 2565 here. There aren't any of the esters, or properties, of 2565 in that beer on my palate. Not even close. Maybe it was that and mutated to something cleaner? I have the last bottle sitting in the kegerator and will try to culture up the yeast over the weekend. Supposedly it's pasteurized but we will see!

Latest posts

Back