Spontaneous Satellite Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JuanKenobi

Reaction score
I left my OG sample on the counter last night and today it looks like this:

fermenting_sample.jpg

It looks like a normal fermentation to me. The sample was definitely taken before I pitched. Could there have been yeast hiding in my thief or test cylinder from a previous sample? I doubt the thief as it was sanitized in a starsan bath before use. The only thing I didn't sanitize was the test cylinder. I did take a sample of another batch before I started brewing, but then I rinsed it thoroughly with hot water and used it to take pre-boil gravity and rinsed again before taking an OG reading. Could there have been enough cells hiding in the test cylinder after all that to start a visible fermentation in less than 24 hours? Am I blessed with wild Saccharomyces flying around my kitchen? Or is this some kind of infection?

After I brew, I leave my sample jar near where I mill my grain just for ****z'n giggles. It always takes off around the same time as my brew just from the wild yeast in the grain.

It's pretty amazing that it happens that fast. Now that you mention it, I was cleaning my grain mill right next to the sample.

Latest posts

Back