Spoilage?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FLDanimal

Reaction score
What does it take for a beer to spoil? I kegged a batch of brown ale and threw it in my kegerator to carb up and chill down. I thought it tasted a bit young so I took it out for a couple months to condition. Would it spoil in that time? I ask because I was reading a site dealing with line balancing and it stated that beer shouldnt be stored above a certain temperature or it would spoil. Thanks.

it stated that beer shouldnt be stored above a certain temperature or it would spoil. Thanks.

Unless you're letting air in there it won't spoil. As you said you had it hooked up to gas to there is a blanket of CO2. Plus there's alcohol... nothing is going to live in there that will spoil it. Hell, plenty of times I've filled a keg, hit it with 30psi for a minute or two (bleeding the air a couple times) and left it in the closet. Wherever you read that tidbit needs to get their facts straight.

Provided there are no leaks, it should last at least as long as a bottle of beer. Typically 1-4 years depending on ABV. Even then I don't think it is spoiled, but oxidized or over conditioned.

well, I think spoil is the wrong word.

There are issues that arise when beer is stored too warm. While I am not certain as to that temp, I imagine it is around 80 degrees, the same temp that wine tends to go bad...and by bad I mean it develops a "cooked/baked" taste...hard to explain.

Also, if the alcohol receives many intense temp fluctuations it can turn a beer. the term "skunky" comes to mind.

But as long as it isn't 80-90 where you are storing it I say +1 to what everyone else has said and as long as it has CO2 you are good to go. Happy aging.

Latest posts

Back