Splitting up my brew day/night

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMD

Reaction score
I would really like to get a brew day in this weekend but family activities got me tied up where I can't commit a half day to tending to the mash tun and kettle like I normally would. I have been wondering, has anyone ever done their mash in the night before, collect all your wort and leave it in the kettle overnight and commence the boil in the morning? I'm not talking about mashing overnight, I would basically just have a 8hr pause between mash out/wort collection and starting the boil. Other than loss to evaporation, are there dangers here I'm not aware of?

That's a good way to make a kettle sour.
I haven't done this but I would think bringing it to 180*-200* then insulate, you should be ok.
I do overnite mashes every now and then and have my sparge liquor at temp in the morning,so brew day gose pretty fast.

I split my brew process into three days.

Day 1 - setup the mash and all other equipment. boil total water needed with Campden. Let cool. 1 hour.
Day 2 - Heat water, mash, vorlauf, sparge then boil. No chill. 3 hours.
Day 3 - Pitch and ferment in boiler. 2 minutes.

Breaking up between mash, wort collection but not boiling could be problematic. My no chill step takes place in a relatively sanitary boiler which I cover just before flameout, so I have no concerns about bacteria, yeast or mold. If you sanitized the transfer lines and boiler before collection you might have fewer worries. You can probably get away with your plan once but the more times you try it, the greater chance of a problem. IMO.

Last edited:
Back