Splitting up a full boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ikasama

Reaction score
I've read threads on doing a full boil is preferable to a partial... so, would splitting up my 12 lbs of extract (yes, a HUGE beer) to two 2.5 gallon boils be okay? First boil, half the LME, with all the hop additons then cool and put into the fermentor. Second boil, just the LME for about 15 min or so to sanitize then add to the first in the fermenter? Then continue as normal?

Also, I am hopping this would cut down on time since my burners on my stove aren't the best. Less water = faster boiling?

Perhaps the biggest benefit that people identify in a full boil is better hop utilization. You can certainly split the batch on the stove, but you'll want to split your hops as well.

I do 2 seperate boils for my beers. I split my wort evenly (I do all-grain or partials) into 2 5 gallon pots. I do a boil in each pot seperately, adding 1/2 the hops to each pot for each addition.

Anecdotally, I think the results are worth the time and effort.

I do 2 seperate boils for my beers. I split my wort evenly (I do all-grain or partials) into 2 5 gallon pots. I do a boil in each pot seperately, adding 1/2 the hops to each pot for each addition.

Anecdotally, I think the results are worth the time and effort.

So you are boiling both simultaneously? Does anyone know issues that may arrise with boiling one, cooling it, then adding it to my fermenting bucket, then boiling the other due to limited space/pots?

I am planning to add two different hops at 90 maybe ill add one hop to each of the boils. Then ill break up my 30 min addition and my EOB addition.

I boil one. Then I start to cool it and start heating the other up. I leave the initially unboiled pot coverd on the counter while the first one boils.

When the first pot has cooled completely, I add it to the sterilized fermenter and then cover that while the second pot is boiling.

I split the wort and each hop addition in half.

If you only have one pot to boil in I think it would be absolutely no issue.

Let me know what your results are. I feel that going to full boils has made more of a difference in my batches than just related to hops.

But then, it could be a different animal given that you are using only extract...

If you only have one pot to boil in I think it would be absolutely no issue.

Let me know what your results are. I feel that going to full boils has made more of a difference in my batches than just related to hops.

But then, it could be a different animal given that you are using only extract...

Thanks for the help, I'll keep this board updated.

Back