Splitting the boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TcJ

Reaction score
Hi, I searched but couldn't find if this has been discussed. I'm about to do a partial mash brew.

Is there any harm in splitting the boil into two equal halves... i.e., boiling 2.5 gallons with half of the recipe in each step, and mixing them in the fermenter?

Of course it'll take longer, but I won't have to buy a large stockpot and a gas burner ;-)

I will do a separate mini-boil sometimes when I want to mimic the caramelization youd get from a 120min boil in 60 min. I just take about a gallon from the pot, boil it down separately till it darkens, and add it back in.

Are you going to be boiling both pots simultaneously? Or doing one, then the other? If the latter, I'd be careful with keeping bacteria out of the first one while you boil the second.

I'm currently doing this for my mash and the boil, I've got big enough of a pot, but the burner doesn't put out enough heat for a good boil, and it's too cold outside for the turkey fryer.
yeah, it's a long brew day but I get the job done.

Back