Splitting kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mscg4u

Reaction score
Alright so I Ordered NB's Deadringer IPA, and since the pot I am using is only 4 gallons, I would like to basically split the ingredients in half, and brew two separate 3 gallon batches making in turn a 5-6 gallon full batch with no top up. Is it as simple as splitting everything in half or should I be doing some more calculations?

Also, if this is feasible, how can I reduce the caramelization of the extract so my IPA doesn't come out black? I know if I was going to be using the top up method I would add in the 1 lb of DME, go through the whole boil adding the hops, then add in the rest of the LME (6 lbs) for the last 15 minutes. I feel like if I split it in half only .5 lbs of DME wont be enough for full hop utilization.

Correction, Deadringer only called for LME.. 9 lbs.. So how could I go about this?

You're right, hops utilization depends on the gravity throughout the boil. Sounds like you're saying that kit does some late additions which would be similar to the a full boil (diluted). It's possible they could be similar enough that it won't matter, but if you don't want to take a chance it would be better to calculate the IBU's using the written recipe, then do the same calculations with the full boil 1/2 recipes and see how much hops to add to get the same IBU's. Doing IBU calculations with late extract additions and scaling the hops to hit a specific IBU is really best handled with a program like Beersmith.

So is it worth all the trouble doing a full boil and splitting it or will I not noticed much of a difference topping up? Up to now I have only done top ups.

The NB recipe I read online does not recommend a late addition. I guess you were asking whether the late addition would reduce carmelization and you're right, it should help - so would a full boil. So I ran some scenarios in BeerSmith and here's what I got (all calculations Tinseth, assuming 12% AA Centennial):

Base kit - as directed, 2.5 gallon boil: 42.9 IBU (technically a little on the low side for an American IPA)
Base kit modified to do 3 lbs LME for 60 minutes and remaining 6.15 lbs for 15 min: 82 IBU
Base kit split into two batches of 2.5 gallons with full boils (boil volume 3.15 gal), no late addition: 76.6 IBU

So yes, you should adjust your hops if you want to stay in the same IBU range.

So is it worth all the trouble doing a full boil and splitting it or will I not noticed much of a difference topping up? Up to now I have only done top ups.

I personally noticed an improvement in my beer quality by doing full boils. Some think that it's not worth the additional troubles. However the way you're going about it should reduce some of the trouble. If you tried to step up to a full boil 5 gallon batch, then you have the problem of much more cooling effort (only practical to use a chiller) and needing a much larger burner (i.e. propane turkey fryer). You're only additional burden is having to have two brewing sessions.

So you can try it the way you are thinking and see for yourself whether you think it made an improvement with very little effort and no additional equipment. If you don't think it mattered, then just go back to the top off method.

The recipe is based on 2.5 gallon boil. so if you are trying to make the recipe as it suggests and get a true Dead Ringer then just follow the instructions. If you change the parameters of the boil and do a split then it really doesn't matter what other items you have changed because you have altered the original gravity of the boil and therefore hop utilization.
split everything in half and enjoy your Dead Ringer knockoff. :D
it will just have a little higher IBU. 1.5 to 2x higher.

If you wanted to cut the hops back to match the original recipe (no late extract) then you would add .28, .28, .56 oz. Otherwise the late extract you mentioned and the split batch have similar IBUs

Believe me there is no need to cut back hops for me... If it goes higher then that is all the better for me... I am a true hop head

Latest posts

Back