Splitting kegs to two taps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharp63

Reaction score
I'm in the process of planning the build of a basement bar and patio bar. Ideally, I'd like to place my kegerator in the basement utility room and then split each of beer lines so one set of lines feeds the basement bar and one feeds the patio. What I'm not sure about, since I've only run beer from a tower attached to the kegerator is if I can actually run the beer that far without it being overcome with foam.

If I were to run it from the utility room, I'd be looking at about 30 feet to the basement bar and then probably 50 feet to the patio. I could put the kegerator in the basement bar. Doing it that way I could just continue using the attached tower for the basement and the patio run would need to be 20 feet then.

I've read line coolers can handle up to 500ft, which seems like overkill and they're rather expensive, so I doubt that's even a possibility.

That’s going to be a trick.
I’ve never done anything like this before, so take my thoughts as just that.

I’d say if you’re going to split the lines, have both runs the same resistance. Use a line calculator to determine a line size (diameter) that will work, then dial it back with a coil of 3/16” in the kegerator. You’ll have more of the 3/16” on the short run.

Sounds way cheaper to do your second option, with no modifications for the basement, then just add the 20’ runs to the patio.

Whichever way you go, you will need to cool those beer lines, or dump a pint every pour.
You could make a line chiller by using insulation around the lines, then add an additional pair of lines that you can recirculate cold water or starsan through. A cheap eBay pump and a large container of water in the kegerator would do it.

Another thought, if you put a very, very small dorm fridge on the patio, you could put the line chiller there, and use it to blow cold air up to cool your taps.
Or just put your taps on that fridge. Depends what you want for form/function.

It's an interesting idea for sure. The issues I'd think you would face would be balancing the lines, keeping them cool and running them in a way that makes changing them an option without having to dismantle a bunch of things.

If you come up with any thing please share.

Back