splitting batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

balto charlie

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey Folks: Do most of you AG 10 gallon batch brewers split your large brews into 2-5 gallon brews? Seems that 10 gallons is an awful lot of the same brew. By splitting after the wort chill you could add some different (already cooked) grains, hops etc. and get a 2fer. Charlie
PS then again 10 gallons of some really great IPA or stout ain't bad.

I know a lot of guys that brew together and split a 10 gallon batch between themselves. I also know a bunch of guys that compete so much, they need that extra five gallons just for entries!

TL

I have started doing 10 gallon batches because I can't keep the stuff around long enough! Although 5g sounds like a lot, it's only 40 pints. If I have a few friends over, kegs blow pretty quick! :D

Some people will split the runnings from the mash and boil two different brews, but I don't know of anyone that does so post boil.

:mug:

Jester369 said:
I have started doing 10 gallon batches because I can't keep the stuff around long enough! Although 5g sounds like a lot, it's only 40 pints. If I have a few friends over, kegs blow pretty quick! :D

Some people will split the runnings from the mash and boil two different brews, but I don't know of anyone that does so post boil.

:mug:

Would there be a problem splitting the wort post boil and before pitching?

Gammon N Beer said:
Would there be a problem splitting the wort post boil and before pitching?

No problem at all. It gives you a chance to really compare how much two different yeasts can affect the final product.

My brother and I have been splitting 10 gal batches for awhile now. Always post boil and chill. Split into two bucket primaries. I then split one big yeast starter between the buckets. The final products have always come out identical....at least to our tastes. We have often talked about using two different yeasts, but haven't done so yet.

I usually do my "trial" brews in 5 gallon batches, and do 10 if I know that I will like it. It is also nice to be able to split a batch with a friend. I have tried different yeasts with the batch split in 2, but I always wonder how much of the difference is from the yeast, and how much is from the extra time in the secondary as I usually only keg one of a specific batch at a time.

I find that I am more careful with sanitation with the 10 gallon batches. I can stomach wasting 12# of grain and 2 oz of hops, but not 25# of grain and 4 oz of hops.

Here in W. Mi., brew buddy and I typically brew up 25 to 30 gallon batches.
Seems like a lot but we shut down and don't brew much after middle spring.
Normally have homebrew until almost end of summer.
We split into 2 15 gallon kettles and occasionally have a visitor over that helps out and goes home with 5 gallons to watch ferment.
Mostly simple pale ales, but as we get closer to working all the bugs out, it seems that there is hardly enough.
Frank uses his hops and yeast of choice and I do the same.
Nice to compare and hopefully learn.
rick

aa8jzdial said:
We split into 2 15 gallon kettles and occasionally have a visitor over that helps out and goes home with 5 gallons to watch ferment.
rick

This is of interest to me and once I get my system down to brewing consistently I would like to move to 10 gallon brews.

I would like to know how your friends transport their beer. I would assume it is simply carboy transferred - pre pitch, and you send them home with everything they need, ie, yeast and fermentation lock or blow off tube.

I do 10 gallons and split into 5 gallons. Every time each 5 gallons are different from the other 5 made from the same mash and boil. I use a CFC and run the first 5 into a pail and then the last into a pail. They are always different. Strange, out they are.
The first is always lighter then the 2nd. Maybe do to it having more hotbreak in there. Don't know, don't really care. They all taste great. :D

FSR402 said:
The first is always lighter then the 2nd. Maybe do to it having more hotbreak in there. Don't know, don't really care. They all taste great. :D

That's why I fill the first carboy 1/2 way, then the other 1/2 way, then back to the first, etc. I also go half and half when I go to secondary, to try to get the two consistent. :mug:

Just chiming in to say that the two yeasts thing is really fun. It can make almost no difference or a dramatic difference. Different yeasts emphasize hops or malt or mineral flavors, so it's a great way to find taste beers all over again - brew them again but use a different culture, and you will find something unexpected.

And I frequently have two or three beers on tap, so if I get tired of one, I can just go for the other keg for a bit. I don't get to brew as often as I might like, but by brewing 10 gallons, I have enough to get by with.

Back