Splitting batch into secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwlbrewing

Reaction score
I have a 5 gallon batch of IPA that I want to split into two batches for secondary. I only have 5 gallon carboys. Will it hurt to split the 5 gallon batch into two 2 1/2 secondary batches? Will 5 gallon carboys leave too much head space and ruin the beer if there is only 2 1/2 gallons of beer in the 5 gallon carboy?

There usually is no need to rack to secondary. That's old news. Also, why not just put it in one carboy?

My son wants to dry hop half the batch and I want to keep half the batch as it was put into primary. I am worried that 2 1/2 gallons of air in the head space is too much for secondary fermentation. I hear air kills beer.

I haven't seen any 2.5 gal carboys but I have seen a 1gal & 3gal.
I wouldn't use a 5 gallon that is only half full, too much O2
If your kegging you could go ahead an keg it up the co2 would keep it from oxidizing

If you rack just after the main fermentation begins to slow down there will be a nice layer of CO2 produced to keep all oxygen out. I think it would be better to make a new batch of beer than getting cute with it.

Back