Splitting Batch for Boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RPG27

Reaction score
Yesterday, I brewed my first 3 gallon batch. I don't yet have an 8+ gallon pot so I had to split the wort into two pots for the boil (the boil called for 4 1/2 gallons total). One of the pots was predominantly wort while the other was mostly sparge water. I had both pots on the same heat setting on the stove.

I got an excellent hot break with the pot that contained mostly pre-sparge wort, but the sparge water pot bubbled and boiled very well, but never really got a hot break. Does anyone know what would cause this and will it affect beer flavor? I split up the hops equally and did everything else identical to each pot. I'm just wondering if next time I should try to get the pots somewhat equal in wort/sparge water?

Yesterday, I'm just wondering if next time I should try to get the pots somewhat equal in wort/sparge water?

Yes would be much better.

Hot break in the one with thicker wort is because it has more fermentable's, starches, ext, in it.

Spare water has less wort (Fermentable's) in it so yes it would just boil.

Cheers :mug:

Back