Splitting a brew over 2 days

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigears

Reaction score
I'm short on time for brewing at the moment and I'm considering splitting the brew over 2 days. I'm planning on mashing and sparging on day 1, and collecting the wort in a sanitised plastic brewing bucket. On day 2 I plan to transfer the wort to the boiler and finish the brew. I'm partial mashing so I plan to boil the collected wort and add the extract at the end of the boil. I'm probably looking at boiling about 9 litres for 3 kg of grain (just under 2.5 us gallons for just over 6.5 lbs) and topping up with extract at the end of the boil.

Has anyone done this and are there any downsides? I'm guessing there will be between 24 and 48 hours between mash/sparge and boil.

Instead of parging the first day, why not just let your mash sit overnight? That's been done with great success by some here. And there's really no need to sanitize the bucket if you do decide to sparge right away, since your wort will be sanitized in the boil. Keep us posted on your little experiment.

I was doing a google search on mash efficiency and ran across this article from byo:

http://byo.com/mrwizard/1082.html

:off: Side note: I don't know if outside links are frowned upon by the mods... if so please let me know and I'll edit the link out.

Overnight mashing is a better idea, unless you are planning a high-body, low-fermentability mash. On the other hand, if you want a highly fermentable wort, over-night mashing can only help.

[I'm not a Moderator and I don't play one on TV, nor am I a TV. But, outside links are not a problem, as long as they are brewing related.]

Back