Splitting a batch to use two different yeasts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

covered95

Reaction score
I am planning on brewing a five gallon batch. i would like to split it after the boil and pitch two different yeasts to see what kind of effect they have.

Are there any special concerns I need to be aware of? Will I have trouble if I just drain half my kettle into one carboy and then use a second carboy for the other half.

i don't imagine I will, but i thought I'd ask in case I'm missing something.

Thanks.

Hm. The only thing I can think of is to go single-stage if you're using full-sized carboys, because you don't want that much horrid oxygen headspace in secondary.

Alternately fill the fermenters, gallon here, gallon there. Split the last gallon by putting it in a pot and alternating by the quart. This makes certain they have about the same amount to trub.

I wouldn't worry about oxygen at this stage, but it might be a good idea to let them clear in the fermenter.

It would be cool to get a bunch of 1 gallon jugs (find someone that drinks Carlo and Rossi). I do 10 gallon batches and I just today split between two carboys and pitched lager and ale yeats respectively.

Don't worry too much about the wort taking up O2 from the headspace; unless you shake it, it won't be taken up that much at all. Sure, the exposed surface will take up O2, but that will be about it without any agitation. Go ahead and split them between 2 carboys, filled about 1/2 each. Pitch the yeast and go from there. Once the yeast takes hold, like Bah Humbug said, it won't matter because CO2 is denser than O2.

I did this once ... i made 9 gallons or wort, did 3 gallons of lager using Wyeast danish lager at 50F; 3 gallons of ale using Wyeast1007 german ale yeast at 60F; and 3 gallons of ale using safale 05 at 70F.

All 3 turned out fine, the lager being the best of the 3.

I have done this a few times too. Make a 10g batch and split into 2 carboys for fermenting. It has worked just fine. I have only used 1 type of yeast though.

Back