Splitting a 5 gallon kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CofCnJofLV

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello All..

I am a newbie to the home brewing world and I am having a great time learning.

I about about to brew up my second batch, which is an American Light Kit from Brewer's Best.

My plan is brew up the 5 gallon kit and then separate it into two different fermentation buckets. With the hopes to had some lime flavoring to one half.

Here is where my questions come in.

1) If I do separate at the beginning of the fermentation process. Do I want to also separate the yeast or do I want to get a second packet and do one packet each.

2) How is the best way to introduce the lime and when is the best time to introduce the lime.

Any other advice will be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

C

American light - lager or ale? There's a huge difference in method there. Going the ale route will give you a cream ale, awesome stuff. Lagers though, not necessarily difficult, but takes a bit more pampering, particularly your temperatures. Since it's your second batch, I'm sure that's not the route you're going. If I can make a suggestion, keep at least part of this batch in the fridge for at least a month after bottle conditioning for three weeks. Cream ales are considered in certain circles a "hybrid" beer. It's debatable. But these cream ales always benefit from some lagering after fermenting to achieve a really nice clean, smooth, refreshing character.

Now, to the topic.

This is a lot simpler than it initially sounds, especially the way I'm explaining it, probably.

Before you toss your priming sugar in, pour yourself a glass of your beer. It's important to have a 12 or 6 ounce pour, to calculate the ratio. Add small, measured amounts of your lime flavor, taste it, and add a little more at a time until it tastes just right. Then calculate how much you would need for 2.5 gallons and dial it back about 5-10% and add it to that half and bottle it. And here's the most important part - WRITE DOWN WHAT YOU DID!!! And of course, don't lose that. If you want to duplicate it or tweak it sometime, you'll know what to do.

Thanks for the input guys..

It is an ale.

So based on your suggestion, go through the process, bottle it. Let it condition for three weeks. Then, put it in the fridge for another 30 days? I will definitely do that.

I will also give suggestion with the lime a try. I am using REAL lime juice for the produce section of my local store. It that the way to go?

Thanks again for all the help.. I will let you know how it turns out

C

Attachments

• beer.jpg
    beer.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 0
Before you toss your priming sugar in, pour yourself a glass of your beer. It's important to have a 12 or 6 ounce pour, to calculate the ratio. Add small, measured amounts of your lime flavor, taste it, and add a little more at a time until it tastes just right. Then calculate how much you would need for 2.5 gallons and dial it back about 5-10% and add it to that half and bottle it. And here's the most important part - WRITE DOWN WHAT YOU DID!!! And of course, don't lose that. If you want to duplicate it or tweak it sometime, you'll know what to do.
That! ^
Also helps to have a 2nd person with you for tasting after what you think is the best amount added. Palate fatigue sets in quickly with flavorings, and you tend to overdo it.
I usually end up using only half of what I tested as being best. That's become my rule of thumb, and that's what I let my wife taste as the final mix. Sometimes even that is already over the top.

Use a dropper and shot glasses.
Eat an unsalted (Saltine) cracker in between tastings or when needed, to help reset the palate. I prefer a chunk of fresh watermelon for that, if available.

That! ^
Also helps to have a 2nd person with you for tasting after what you think is the best amount added. Palate fatigue sets in quickly with flavorings, and you tend to overdo it.
I usually end up using only half of what I tested as being best. That's become my rule of thumb, and that's what I let my wife taste as the final mix. Sometimes even that is already over the top.

Use a dropper and shot glasses.
Eat an unsalted (Saltine) cracker in between tastings or when needed, to help reset the palate. I prefer a chunk of fresh watermelon for that, if available.
Yes, great advice!

gittThanks for the input guys..

It is an ale.

So based on your suggestion, go through the process, bottle it. Let it condition for three weeks. Then, put it in the fridge for another 30 days? I will definitely do that.

I will also give suggestion with the lime a try. I am using REAL lime juice for the produce section of my local store. It that the way to go?

Thanks again for all the help.. I will let you know how it turns out

C
If you're talking about the juice in the green bottles, be aware that there are preservatives in it that might negatively affect your yeast depending on how much you use. That could slow or prevent carbonation in the bottles. Good luck!

Last edited:
When I brew 5g kit, I split the post boil/cool wort into 2 smaller FV, The MRBeer LBK or the nice 3 gal mini conical from Morebeer. I add equal amounts of the wort to both, then top off to the 2.3 to 2.5g mark.
I like to use different yeast with the same recipe. I might dry hop one. I end up with 2 different beers
When I bottle or keg, might add some flavor as OP desires. I might add oak chips to the keg. I find I really like oak in many of my recipes
I try to use organic flavors (lime lemon orange etc, no preservatives )

I have found the best way to add lime flavor is to make your own tincture. Zest 2 or 3 limes and add the zest it to half cup of vodka. Let it sit for a couple days to allow the vodka to extract the lime flavor. Use a coffee filter or some other strainer to remove and discard the zest. Then add the remaining extract to taste.

Back