Split mash techniques

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prrriiide

Reaction score
Smokin cigarettes and watching Captain Kangaroo
Just wondering...

When you want to do 10 gal of a big beer, but just have a 10 gal tun, what are some tips for splitting the mash?

Would you do two 5-gal batches of the beer and then combine them at bottling? Or would you do two mashes and hold the first batch of wort in the kettle until the second batch could be added and then do a full boil? Mix all of the grains and then split equally, or mash different grains at different temps (e.g. the higher potential grains at a lower temp and the specialties at a higher temp)?

Edumacate me, o wise ones!

I had asked a similar question a couple weeks ago, "how can I make a big beer in a small MLT?" The most popular answer was to mash as much of the grain you can using your current equipment and substitute the rest with extract OR buy a bigger MLT.

Given you only have one MLT it would make for a really long brew day to do two mashes. And I could be wrong, but if you can brew a lot of 5 gallon batches with a 5 gallon MLT, shouldn't you be able to do the same with a 10 gallon batch in a 10 gallon MLT?

What about doing as much as u can in your mlt, and then doing the rest at the sane time as BIAB?

Back