Split batch for water additions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sloescher

Reaction score
I'm just now starting to very slightly understand how to determine what to add/dilute my water with. I'm still very new to this, but I was wondering if there was a way that I could split a batch and test the additions that I'm calculating vs. no additions, etc.

Do they make the most difference during the mash/sparge, or can I add them later? If it's remotely possible, I'd like to have the same mash/sparge/boil for the batch, and only have water addition changes to note the difference.

Is this even possible?

Thanks for your help.

Yes, absolutely. The trick is to obtain ceteris paribus i.e. to have the only differences between the two batches be the water they were made with. Obviously, you have to brew 2 beers and you have to do them either in series or in parallel. I can't think of any way to do them in parallel in my brewery so have done them serially.

I did exactly what you propose for a couple of water classes I gave from which I learned that you can make a better Burton ale without gypsum than you can with. Not more authentic mind you but more drinkable. The QA guy from the local regional (sounds like a contradiction in terms - it was a regional brewery that was close by) did a batch w/o 'terra alba'.

Back