split batch, 1 good 1 bad

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sheephrdr

Reaction score
Hey i tried to brew a 10 gallon batch of oatmeal stout this winter, it was very cold and my tank was low so kept freezing up.. mashing and mash temps were good but i never actually got the sucker to boil -although close. I cooled over night in 5 gallon pails ( i know i know but it was cold and i wasn't running the chiller and was tired)

anyways i split the batch into 2 five gallon batches, one with Nottingham and the other, so4 both were pitched on top of previous yeast cake.

the notttingham batch is not good, drinkable but has that maybe dms maybe oxidized taste in the background and of course no bitterness (which i wasn't aiming for anyways.) also the airlock ran dry at one point but not sure how long.

second batch pitched on S04 and 2 oz of dark oak chips. both were in the primary for about 2 months as no kegs avail.. the second batch does not taste like oatmeal stout but is great, it reminds me of a Belgian dark ale, def taste the oak but also has like a hef taste like i used a wheat beer yeast..

anyways I'm glad one batch fluked and turned out great.. the mystery of beer making lol. next time i think ill just do a 5 gallon batch in the cold winter night.

any thoughts would be great!

Last time I brewed in the cold I had the same trouble then put the propane tank into a tub of hot water, the water only went up about 5-6 inches the tank but was enough to maintain enough pressure to boil 10 gallons. Just something to think about for next freezing brew day

Back