Splenda in primary fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

merlin306

Reaction score
So, I bought some juice for my apfelwein - I didn't realize it at the time, but it used Splenda instead of sugar for sweetening.

After a few weeks, I took a sample, and it tastes nice(ish), and has a good amount of sweetness.

Is there any worry about using Splenda from the get-go instead of as a back sweetener (off flavors, etc)?

So far so good, but I'd hate to found out in 6 months...

Splenda is a non-fermentable sweetener. Whatever fermentation you had was from the juice alone. Sounds like you accidentally did a "front sweeten".

Splenda is a non-fermentable sweetener. Whatever fermentation you had was from the juice alone. Sounds like you accidentally did a "front sweeten".

And, a "front sweeten" is okay in terms of sitting in a fermenter for a few months?

Can't see why it would matter when in the process splenda was added.

This leads to another related question.....does splenda or any other artificial sweeteners affect the SG readings?

Can't see why it would matter when in the process splenda was added.

This leads to another related question.....does splenda or any other artificial sweeteners affect the SG readings?

I would think not. My "wine" with the splenda was at a SG of 1.000 after about 3 weeks in primary. It still tasted sweet, so the Splena didn't ferment out (no surprise). I would assume that whatever affects OG (sugar) completely fermented out, while the Splenda made it sweet, but didn't affect gravity...:confused:

Now I am interested if there is a reason to back-sweeten (after all fermentation and conditioning), instead of just front-sweetening??? Maybe better controlled sweetening, as you can taste the final product. Oh well, as long as active fermentation doesn't affect the Splenda in some negative way, who cares.

I suppose that if nothing else, it's a good reason to make another batch and compare.

Back