spilt sterilizing powder

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newbrewbro

Reaction score
Ok, so I'm really new to brewing. I just bottled my first brew.

Came out ok, a little light but all in all, not bad start.

Once I bottled and cleaned all my equipment, i put everything away.

Stupidly I stored my sterilizing powder, in it's jar in my fermenter (plastic).

While putting the fermenter away, the sterilizing powder tipped over. There was a tiny amount of water in the bottom of the fermenter. Unfortunately I think a bit of the water must have mixed with some powder.

Left un-opened for a few days, i got the kit out to lay down the next batch (a nice stout). There was an really overpowering smell coming from my fermenter. Like "punch in the face" kind of overpowering. Really acrid and horrible.

The bugger is that there is still a bit of a smell in the fermenter, after leaving it open to air for a few days.

Question is: is my fermenter going to be ruined? will this smell/taste taint my beer? should I replace the fermenter?

Get some oxyclean, mix w/ water in your bucket and let that sit overnight. I think that might do the trick.

i agree with phantuna

also it's a bad idea to store stuff inside your bucket you can scratch it. scratches will increase your chance of getting infections.

Get some oxyclean, mix w/ water in your bucket and let that sit overnight. I think that might do the trick.

Thanks for the response. Really appreciate it. I'm in Aus, not familiar with Oxyclean. From what I can tell, it's a laundry (washing) powder?

Thanks for the response. Really appreciate it. I'm in Aus, not familiar with Oxyclean. From what I can tell, it's a laundry (washing) powder?

Its not laundry powder, although its sold in the States primarily for that use. Look for anything with "sodium percarbonate" as the active ingredient. I believe there are Aussie equivalent brands.

Its not laundry powder, although its sold in the States primarily for that use. Look for anything with "sodium percarbonate" as the active ingredient. I believe there are Aussie equivalent brands.

Thanks heaps. I'll give it a go. Really appreciate the info Gents.

Back