Spike... I need a conical

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So what are the details from the pressure test? You now have it listed at 15 psi working pressure. Where did it burst... 30 psi? What was the failure mode? Weld? Tri-clover? Middle of the tank?

If I set a PRV to 15 psi to spund, is pressure damage warrantied?

I did not yet. It does me no good without the neoprene jacket living in the south. Was also curious if they would offer some sort of heater too. I can use some ferm wrap if needed but was looking for something more rugged

Where do you live? I am in SC and the temps here are brutal....today the heat index is 107F and the real temp is 95F. I bought a glycol chiller and was the best move I ever made considering my location. Ferm wrap should work fine...I use them and heat belts so you should be ok. You can also check those reptile heat wraps (same as ferm wrap) and have the width and length custom cut to fit your fermenter.

Where do you live? I am in SC and the temps here are brutal....today the heat index is 107F and the real temp is 95F. I bought a glycol chiller and was the best move I ever made considering my location. Ferm wrap should work fine...I use them and heat belts so you should be ok. You can also check those reptile heat wraps (same as ferm wrap) and have the width and length custom cut to fit your fermenter.

Tulsa, OK area. Roughly the same weather. Maintaining ale temps I am not worried about. More concerned about cold crashing and lagers. There would be a sizable condensate puddle under them If I did this without an insulating jacket. I already have a DIY glycol chiller ready for action, but will just use my refrigerator until I can insulate the conical

I'm holding off on my purchase for now. I think I'm going to wait till late September as I've now got to consider the SS Brewtech 14G Unitank. I was going to purchase the Spike with the coil and CIP Valve for $745, but for $254 more, I can get the PRV, Racking arm, Neoprene Jacket, Rotating racking arm, Bottom Rack, Carb Stone, Pressure gauge. I think I'll still have to buy the 3" CIP though for it.

I'm going to contact SS to verify that. I'd be happy with either honestly, but SS really threw me for a loop when they announced the $999 deal on their Unitank.

I just pre-ordered my 14G Uni-tank with FTSs heating and cooling yesterday. Correct in that you'll need to order the CIP cleaning ball that fits into a 3" TC port...that was $49 on top.

I am familiar with Ss Brewtech since I already have experience with their FTSs systems and Ss Fermenters. Brand loyalty I suppose plus they gave me a very generous discount as a Navy veteran. They have always done me more than right plus they have awesome products. Cant wait for the new tank to arrive so I can carb right in the tank and transfer carbed beer O2 free into keg.

So what are the details from the pressure test? You now have it listed at 15 psi working pressure. Where did it burst... 30 psi? What was the failure mode? Weld? Tri-clover? Middle of the tank?

If I set a PRV to 15 psi to spund, is pressure damage warrantied?

Our independent test labs and PE OK'd the tank for a working pressure of 15psi. The lid will pop off at around 30psi or so. If used correctly no damage will occur. The 15psi spundling would be within the designed use. Be sure to use a 15psi pressure relief valve!

I just pre-ordered my 14G Uni-tank with FTSs heating and cooling yesterday. Correct in that you'll need to order the CIP cleaning ball that fits into a 3" TC port...that was $49 on top.

I am familiar with Ss Brewtech since I already have experience with their FTSs systems and Ss Fermenters. Brand loyalty I suppose plus they gave me a very generous discount as a Navy veteran. They have always done me more than right plus they have awesome products. Cant wait for the new tank to arrive so I can carb right in the tank and transfer carbed beer O2 free into keg.

If you're ever looking for more tanks we offer a 15% military discount as well (enter 'Military' at checkout). We'd love for you to do a side by side comparison as we know which one you'll like better ;):mug:

Tulsa, OK area. Roughly the same weather. Maintaining ale temps I am not worried about. More concerned about cold crashing and lagers. There would be a sizable condensate puddle under them If I did this without an insulating jacket. I already have a DIY glycol chiller ready for action, but will just use my refrigerator until I can insulate the conical

Yeah you need the jacket for sure. I use pipe insulation on the supply/return lines plus I use short sections of the pipe insulation to wrap the fermenter legs. Anything I can insulate, the more easily and efficiently the chiller can operate.

But a what a gorgeous new system you have, and I'm sure you are proud of it!

If you're ever looking for more tanks we offer a 15% military discount as well (enter 'Military' at checkout). We'd love for you to do a side by side comparison as we know which one you'll like better ;):mug:

There is a distinct possibility that may happen! A+ on your great salesmanship, plus I hear your products are top of the line.

There is a distinct possibility that may happen! A+ on your great salesmanship, plus I hear your products are top of the line.

The CF10 has only been out for about a week and we're starting to see a common question..... :p

If you have any questions please feel free to reach out! We just hired Ryan who will be heading up sales for us. He'd be happy to answer any questions you may have! [email protected]

Customers.png

The CF10 has only been out for about a week and we're starting to see a common question..... :p

If you have any questions please feel free to reach out! We just hired Ryan who will be heading up sales for us. He'd be happy to answer any questions you may have! [email protected]

LOL if you offered this on your 20g brew pots I would've taken you up on it.

I am currently waiting for the CF15, as i mostly do 10g batches with an occasional 15g and want 1 conical to do both.

A thought just occurred to me. I could buy the CF10 now if it could do 15 gallon batches. Would you consider building an accessory for the CF10 that would be an add on collar or a super domed lid to expand the CF10's 14g capacity to 18g capacity on the CF15? This way i can have an ideal sized conical for my mostly 10g batches and be able to do the occasional 15g with this collar or super lid? Hell i could also do the occasional 5 gallon high gravity brew in the same conical rather than keeping a few carboys for those.

This would also be a huge benefit to those that are doing 5/10g batches that can scale up later to 10/15g batches without buying more equipment.

Please just say YES!!!

I am currently waiting for the CF15, as i mostly do 10g batches with an occasional 15g and want 1 conical to do both.

A thought just occurred to me. I could buy the CF10 now if it could do 15 gallon batches. Would you consider building an accessory for the CF10 that would be an add on collar or a super domed lid to expand the CF10's 14g capacity to 18g capacity on the CF15? This way i can have an ideal sized conical for my mostly 10g batches and be able to do the occasional 15g with this collar or super lid? Hell i could also do the occasional 5 gallon high gravity brew in the same conical rather than keeping a few carboys for those.

This would also be a huge benefit to those that are doing 5/10g batches that can scale up later to 10/15g batches without buying more equipment.

Please just say YES!!!

Ha sorry to disappoint! This is not in the works as of right now. When the CF15 is out the collar part would be obsolete. We apologize about the wait but the CF15 should be perfect for your needs with 5, 10 and 15g batches!

Where did you get the male gas post from? I like that setup!

It is pieced together from brewhardware and tri clamped to the 3 way t valve

I only trust it for pushing beer because of the compression fitting with a nylon sleeve that attached to the blow off cane would likely slip and higher pressures.

I can take the tri clamp off and put it directly on the conical and pressure to the full 15 psi though. I may change the t fitting to a cross and add a prv so I can have everything in one fitting

Our independent test labs and PE OK'd the tank for a working pressure of 15psi. The lid will pop off at around 30psi or so. If used correctly no damage will occur. The 15psi spundling would be within the designed use. Be sure to use a 15psi pressure relief valve!

Awesome, that's what I needed. Thanks!

All this is in the R&D pipeline! :mug: Many of these new accessories will be 'made in the USA' parts which usually have longer initial lead times. Stay tuned for them to start rolling out over the next couple months!

Just when I think I'm out, they PULL me back in.:tank::tank:

Seems a little misleading to post this. I emailed you guys and the response I got says there is no such trade-in program, nor is there a program being planned. Was this posted in error or as a joke?

Seems a little misleading to post this. I emailed you guys and the response I got says there is no such trade-in program, nor is there a program being planned. Was this posted in error or as a joke?

It appears to be a tongue in cheek light jab at the competition. It was never stated they would do a trade in program just that people have asked.

My vote is a joke.

It appears to be a tongue in cheek light jab at the competition. It was never stated they would do a trade in program just that people have asked.

My vote is a joke.

I guess the humor got lost in the interwebs.

I have another question as I am looking at the CF10 on the web site and comparing it to my other options out there for unitanks. If Spike is indeed working on a carb stone option, where is it going to go? There are no more ports available on the tank.

I guess the humor got lost in the interwebs.

I have another question as I am looking at the CF10 on the web site and comparing it to my other options out there for unitanks. If Spike is indeed working on a carb stone option, where is it going to go? There are no more ports available on the tank.

I can't speak for them but if it was me I was going to (if they weren't releasing one) put a carb stone in a triclamp and just put it on the racking arm or bottom dump and open it up.

Consequently that is also how I will oxygenate. 2" to 1/2" fpt with a threaded carb stone. clamp to the dump valve open it up and turn on the o2

Sorry for the confusion. We were. It trying to alluded that we have a trade in program. We were stating the the other member was not alone wanting to trade in for a new CF10.

The carb stone assembly will go on the end of the racking port valve. This way it is only exposed to wort when needed thus no risk of it getting gummed up.

Sorry for the confusion. We were. It trying to alluded that we have a trade in program. We were stating the the other member was not alone wanting to trade in for a new CF10.

The carb stone assembly will go on the end of the racking arm. This way it is only exposed to wort when needed thus no risk of it getting gummed up.

Okay. Now I am even more confused. Isn't the racking arm always in the wort? If not, how do you propose putting the racking arm on the tank without dumping all your beer? Unless the carb stone is on the outside part of the racking arm, which seems kind of funky.

Okay. Now I am even more confused. Isn't the racking arm always in the wort? If not, how do you propose putting the racking arm on the tank without dumping all your beer? Unless the carb stone is on the outside part of the racking arm, which seems kind of funky.

Sorry, updated the post. It will attach to the end of the racking port valve.

The carb stone could technically go on the sampling valve port, the racking port, even the temp probe port with a simple 3-way triclamp manifold.

Just saying.

Received my fermenter today - this thing is beautiful.

One thing to watch out for when you place your order - if you order the CIP ball or racking arm, make sure to order an extra clamp and gasket as well.

One thing to watch out for when you place your order - if you order the CIP ball or racking arm, make sure to order an extra clamp and gasket as well.

Couldnt you use the blow off clamp and gasket for the cip?

Looking for more details. Brew brew brew. Review review review. I'm on the fence.

Looking for more details. Brew brew brew. Review review review. I'm on the fence.

I wrote up a pretty long prebrew review and compared it to my BME with pictures and everything but the forum ate it. I'll type it up again when I have time.

Couldnt you use the blow off clamp and gasket for the cip?

The CIP part takes two clamps - one to mount it to the fermenter and another to mount the connection for the inlet (I'll be using a TC CAM adapter, but you'd still need something if you used the blow off barb TC fitting).

Unfortunately I'm not going to be able to brew with it until I collect some more shipments - inbound fittings from PFD and brewhardware, and then I need to buy a glycol chiller. I'm hoping that Spike will be out with a jacket and their temperature control sooner rather than later. No way this monster will fit into my wine chiller fermentation chamber.

I will be brewing this weekend, but into my SS Brewtech bucket. The weldless fittings on it, as well as the NPT mods I've made not the lid for pressure transfer, have been making me nervous. Looking forward to 100% TC, additional dry hopping options, and the additional cooling capabilities vs. my wine chiller.

Hoping to get Ben's attention
I started another thread to hopefully get some help with setups like force carb, pressure transfer etc. since we need additional parts (that will hopefully become options from spike in the future)...wonder if Ben could chime in what they might look like.
I'd like to not half ass it only to have a better Spike kit come out.

My other post
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=632024

IMO, a better solution is attaching the valve, pressure gauge, and ball lock post at the end of blow off tube.
I don't known how people clean and sanitize the gauge. If it can't be done easily, positioning the gauge under should prevent nasty from dropping into beer.

I use 3/8" compression to 1/2" npt fittings with hydraulic quick disconnects on them so that I can disconnect and remove the coil easily without spilling glycol. Works great. Using a harbor freight sump pump running strong after a couple years use.

Back