Spike... I need a conical

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not if I was only going to keep them at fermenting temps. The were filled with 100F water and starsan (passification)

For future reference, you're far better served by a good cleaning to remove any oils/polishes left behind, and using citric acid to passivate. Phosphoric acid isn't really suited/used for passivation, while citric acid has been tested and works extremely well.

I had already cleaned them with TSP. I followed the cleaning passification instructions from SS.

For future reference, you're far better served by a good cleaning to remove any oils/polishes left behind, and using citric acid to passivate. Phosphoric acid isn't really suited/used for passivation, while citric acid has been tested and works extremely well.

I'm glad I found this thread since I have been researching conical fermenters and I am just trying to decide which way I should go. I am currently fermenting in converted Sanke kegs, which work great but I am getting tired of lifting them and moving them around. My ideal solution would be a conical on casters. I think I have a solution for my glycol system, so now it's time to pull the trigger on the conicals.

Regarding the Spike CF10: it says it is pressure rated to 5 psi but it does not include a PRV (or a pressure gauge). This worries me since I plan on transferring under pressure. I have also had a glass carboy explode in the past due to an extremely active fermentation and a clogged blowoff tube. While I don't know if I could actually manage to blow up a stainless conical, the lack of a PRV bothers me a bit. Are there plans to offer a PRV solution? I didn't see one in the Accessories section on the web site.

I'm glad I found this thread since I have been researching conical fermenters and I am just trying to decide which way I should go. I am currently fermenting in converted Sanke kegs, which work great but I am getting tired of lifting them and moving them around. My ideal solution would be a conical on casters. I think I have a solution for my glycol system, so now it's time to pull the trigger on the conicals.

Regarding the Spike CF10: it says it is pressure rated to 5 psi but it does not include a PRV (or a pressure gauge). This worries me since I plan on transferring under pressure. I have also had a glass carboy explode in the past due to an extremely active fermentation and a clogged blowoff tube. While I don't know if I could actually manage to blow up a stainless conical, the lack of a PRV bothers me a bit. Are there plans to offer a PRV solution? I didn't see one in the Accessories section on the web site.

All details have yet to be revealed for this conical, including its final pressure rating, I would wait and see what they offer if anything. Otherwise its fairly simple to rig up a pressure relief in a pressure transfer rig

I'll be all over picking one of these up if it has a decent pressure rating. I want to be able to use it as a unitank.

I transfer under pressure in ss brewtech conicals. They are only rated at 5 psi. You won't have a problem. You can rig up a simple pressure relief valve if you feel the need ss brewtech has a few options in the accessory section.

You can also just buy the new uni tank from Ssbrewtech. That's rated to 30 psi.

Blichmann is coming out with a bunch of new stuff in the next few months. I just talked to the owner of my lhbs. He was talking to John at hbc and he stated they are going to add coils to the fermentors.

I'll be all over picking one of these up if it has a decent pressure rating. I want to be able to use it as a unitank.

I transfer under pressure in ss brewtech conicals. They are only rated at 5 psi. You won't have a problem. You can rig up a simple pressure relief valve if you feel the need ss brewtech has a few options in the accessory section.

You can also just buy the new uni tank from Ssbrewtech. That's rated to 30 psi.

Blichmann is coming out with a bunch of new stuff in the next few months. I just talked to the owner of my lhbs. He was talking to John at hbc and he stated they are going to add coils to the fermentors.

Might want to stay tuned regarding final pressure rating.... ;)

So. If anyone missed it the Spike's final pressure rating is 15 psi. So we are in unitank territory. They will release pressure transfer, PRV, and carbonation accessories shortly.

Mine will be here tomorrow and will have 11 gallons of mild in it by Friday night.

So. If anyone missed it the Spike's final pressure rating is 15 psi. So we are in unitank territory. They will release pressure transfer, PRV, and carbonation accessories shortly.

Mine will be here tomorrow and will have 11 gallons of mild in it by Friday night.

Thanks for the info. I will be interested to see what you think of the quality. I will also be interested to see what the final cost is after adding all the accessories that I would want. It looks like most of the accessories on the Spike tank are standard on the Ss Brew Tech unitank (carb stone, shelf, racking arm, PRV, chilling coil, pressure gauge, neoprene jacket, stainless blowoff cane). I haven't done the math yet, but I have a feeling that adding all those accessories will really close the price gap.

What are you going to do for temp control on your mild?

Thanks for the info. I will be interested to see what you think of the quality. I will also be interested to see what the final cost is after adding all the accessories that I would want. It looks like most of the accessories on the Spike tank are standard on the Ss Brew Tech unitank (carb stone, shelf, racking arm, PRV, chilling coil, pressure gauge, neoprene jacket, stainless blowoff cane). I haven't done the math yet, but I have a feeling that adding all those accessories will really close the price gap.

What are you going to do for temp control on your mild?

This for now. I have all the parts to build a glycol chiller too I am just waiting to see what they offer as far a kit for it though

20170305_195046.jpg

I got mine saturday. Which was my birthday. Very solid clean unit. For 100 more than the ss it is way better.

I guess that depends on which SS unit you are comparing it to. I am in the market for a unitank, so for me, I would like a fair comparison between the SS unitank and the new Spike tank.

I ferment in Sanke kegs, transfer to my brite tanks (which are just corny kegs with the dip tubes shortened), then transfer to serving kegs. If I can cut out the brite tanks, it would make life so much easier. Fewer vessels to clean and sanitize, fewer transfers, etc. These may be the last fermenters I ever buy, so I am trying to be very diligent in figuring out which one is right for me and the way I brew.

If I was rich, I would buy one of each and then do my own comparison. Sadly, I am not rich, so I have to go by the specs that are listed on the web sites.

Idk if I would call that unitank territory, the working pressure is 5PSI and burst is 15PSI I've never tried spunding but would be weary as this would be typically at more than half the burst pressure, if I'm not mistaken, spunding at 5PSI would take a long time to naturally carbonate. Unitank is rated to 30psi burst and 15PSI working.

This definitely seems like a more solid unit than the BME as I've become annoyed with weldless fittings

Idk if I would call that unitank territory, the working pressure is 5PSI and burst is 15PSI I've never tried spunding but would be weary as this would be typically at more than half the burst pressure, if I'm not mistaken, spunding at 5PSI would take a long time to naturally carbonate. Unitank is rated to 30psi burst and 15PSI working.

This definitely seems like a more solid unit than the BME as I've become annoyed with weldless fittings

They or others can correct me if I am wrong but I took it as 15 PSI working pressure. That would put it in unitank territory. plus they have called it a unitank

https://spikebrewing.com/collections/fermenters/products/cf10

It is rated to 15 psi per the site. It should be capable of carbonating a batch in 48-72 hours. It looks like a solid unit.

It is rated to 15 psi per the site. It should be capable of carbonating a batch in 48-72 hours. It looks like a solid unit.

This is definitely an interesting proposition. I had never thought of this before ordering and it is another feature.

So what would the procedure look like?

Ferment normally
Cold crash
add finings and dump trub (second time)
close it up and burst carb with a stone.
transfer to purged pressurized kegs with a spunding valve?
Serve
repeat ad infinitum?

Have you two looked into those companies that reship? I would do it for you but I'm guessing shipping would be at least $200.

They or others can correct me if I am wrong but I took it as 15 PSI working pressure. That would put it in unitank territory. plus they have called it a unitank

https://spikebrewing.com/collections/fermenters/products/cf10

Apologies, I looked it up earlier and said 5PSI working pressure. Unless they were lagging behind on updating the website :confused:

So I've been reading through some other general conical threads, but does anyone know of a reason not to get a 14 gallon when I'm generally doing 5.5 gallon batches? I like to brew often, so I don't see myself going to 10 gallon batches anytime soon. Thanks.

So I've been reading through some other general conical threads, but does anyone know of a reason not to get a 14 gallon when I'm generally doing 5.5 gallon batches? I like to brew often, so I don't see myself going to 10 gallon batches anytime soon. Thanks.

If you know for sure you're not going to do 10G batches, then I probably wouldn't even bother.

BUT.....I said the same thing a few years ago and now I use my 15G Spike kettle for everything. The old 10G Bayou kettle is collecting dust. I regret not getting a 15G from the start and now I'm looking at conicals.......

This reminds me of what I always said....."I am happy with 5G batches and will always stay there". LOL Wrong... I am shopping for 14 G fermenters as we speak similar to Yesfan. When I make a winner recipe, I always want more since 5G goes quickly. I still have 5G setups, so this will be for experimental or test recipes.

Some issues to consider with a small batch in a large fermenter is will the cooling coils go down into the beer? If you use an upright fridge or freezer I suppose that wont matter, but bigger conicals are cumbersome to go that route. There are other issues besides that of course, but you can work thru those with questions to HBT members on here.

This reminds me of what I always said....."I am happy with 5G batches and will always stay there". LOL Wrong... I am shopping for 14 G fermenters as we speak similar to Yesfan. When I make a winner recipe, I always want more since 5G goes quickly. I still have 5G setups, so this will be for experimental or test recipes.

Some issues to consider with a small batch in a large fermenter is will the cooling coils go down into the beer? There are other issues besides that of course, but you can work thru those with questions to HBT members on here.

They have designed this to work with 5 gallon batches. You basically swap the sample spout and the thermowell and the coiling coils reach almost to the bottom.

The 14 gallon takes more space. You might need bigger fridge. If you are using coil with glycol, the coil designed for 10 gal might not touch much enough wort.
The thermowell of 14gal SS brewtech measures at 5.5 gal.
If you don't care them all, go with 1 bbl.

The 14 gallon takes more space. You might need bigger fridge. If you are using coil with glycol, the coil designed for 10 gal might not touch much enough wort.
The thermowell of 14gal SS brewtech measures at 5.5 gal.
If you don't care them all, go with 1 bbl.

We designed our conicals to work with both full and half batches (this goes for every size conical we will release). See below for specs:

CF10
Thermowell: 4.8gal
Sample Port: 2.47gal

There will be about 3.5 gallons of liquid in contact with the cooling coil with a 5gal batch (assuming starting volume is around 5.5g).

Some issues to consider with a small batch in a large fermenter is will the cooling coils go down into the beer? If you use an upright fridge or freezer I suppose that wont matter, but bigger conicals are cumbersome to go that route. There are other issues besides that of course, but you can work thru those with questions to HBT members on here.

Thanks - I'm not hearing much downside so far (I'm going to have to upgrade my temp control system whatever I do - currently using a counter height wine chiller).

Currently leaning toward a glycol system over a commercial fridge.

Thanks - I'm not hearing much downside so far (I'm going to have to upgrade my temp control system whatever I do - currently using a counter height wine chiller).

Currently leaning toward a glycol system over a commercial fridge.

I used smaller 5 and 7 cf chest freezers as fermentation chambers which are fine for 5.5G batches and fermenters in that size range. When you go bigger than that for a fermenter, it gets tight so I now use my two chest freezers for carbing and conditioning kegs before I bring them inside to the serving kegerator.

With this shift of fermentation chamber philosophy comes the need for cooling and/or heating since the fermenter occupies floor space in an ambient setting. After fumbling with the ice bottle in cooler method, I upgraded to a glycol chiller for my two 7G Ss Brew Buckets w/ FTSs. This upgrade now expands my thinking in that I am soon buying a 14 G uni-tank for double batches. I'll still use my 7G systems for test batches or smaller runs, but the bigger batches will be for my most drinkable beers. The glycol chiller could support up to 4 fermenters at once but I doubt that will be a common occurrence for me although one never knows.

Did you get the Drop in cooling coil?

I did not yet. It does me no good without the neoprene jacket living in the south. Was also curious if they would offer some sort of heater too. I can use some ferm wrap if needed but was looking for something more rugged

I'm holding off on my purchase for now. I think I'm going to wait till late September as I've now got to consider the SS Brewtech 14G Unitank. I was going to purchase the Spike with the coil and CIP Valve for $745, but for $254 more, I can get the PRV, Racking arm, Neoprene Jacket, Rotating racking arm, Bottom Rack, Carb Stone, Pressure gauge. I think I'll still have to buy the 3" CIP though for it.

I'm going to contact SS to verify that. I'd be happy with either honestly, but SS really threw me for a loop when they announced the $999 deal on their Unitank.

I'm holding off on my purchase for now. I think I'm going to wait till late September as I've now got to consider the SS Brewtech 14G Unitank. I was going to purchase the Spike with the coil and CIP Valve for $745, but for $254 more, I can get the PRV, Racking arm, Neoprene Jacket, Rotating racking arm, Bottom Rack, Carb Stone, Pressure gauge. I think I'll still have to buy the 3" CIP though for it.

I'm going to contact SS to verify that. I'd be happy with either honestly, but SS really threw me for a loop when they announced the $999 deal on their Unitank.

Honestly you're prob not going to go wrong with either. spike lets you customize as you like has a 2" dump valve and a removable top for easier cleaning ( it honestly goes on quicker than i thought and feels really solid when clamped down) already pressure tested mine and it held 15 for an hour no loss.

SS brewtech is one handy all in one package $1,170 with full fermentation control heat/cool package

Spike is about $ 803 minus the carb stone, jacket, control, heater, prv, and pressure gauge. which will likely mean they will come to about the same if not spike being slightly less, but only time will tell

This is definitely an interesting proposition. I had never thought of this before ordering and it is another feature.

So what would the procedure look like?

Ferment normally

Cold crash

add finings and dump trub (second time)

close it up and burst carb with a stone.

transfer to purged pressurized kegs with a spunding valve?

Serve

repeat ad infinitum?

Yep that's pretty much it!

Spike is about $ 803 minus the carb stone, jacket, control, heater, prv, and pressure gauge. which will likely mean they will come to about the same if not spike being slightly less, but only time will tell

All this is in the R&D pipeline! :mug: Many of these new accessories will be 'made in the USA' parts which usually have longer initial lead times. Stay tuned for them to start rolling out over the next couple months!

Back