Spike Conical- observations and best practices

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It actually could do ok if you used a heat sink in the glycol bath, and a fan to circulate the air. @Nater pretty much nailed it--generally air isn't enough to chill the glycol mix enough, at least not very fast.

I actually did a glycol chill bath in the upper freezer compartment of my big ferm chamber. It actually worked fairly well, and if it could work in there, it would work in a chest freezer, in fact, probably better. I'm attaching a pic showing how I tried to use a copper tube and an aluminum (DIY) heat sink to enhance heat transfer to the air. It worked, after a fashion.

If I had to do it over again, i'd probably look into a chest freezer. Might not have worked--I'm very space-limited--but it's far cheaper.

View attachment 653610
I went w a glycol chiller because my-purchased new-chest freezer/ferm chamber gave up the ghost after 5 years of use. I'm hoping the glycol chiller lasts longer. I do have to wrap the conical in a sleeping bag for optimal performance-the same one I use on my Spike mash tun.

Look up under the DIY section here for some tips.
I am NOT a sciencey guy, so here it is my layman's terms (and I will be corrected I am sure!)

Basically- you need to remove the heat from the water/glycol mix. Air is not enough to do this- i.e. simply leaving the bath in a freezer there is not enough contact. You need the copper coils of an AC unit (with super duper really really cold coolant running through them) INSIDE the water/glycol bath to exchange the heat.

I have heard guys have gotten it pretty cold tho- like say 40-ish? But IMO the idea is to get as close to 36 as possible to crash.

My cold crash target is just above freezing point of beer. I go to 28.5F.

Is anyone with homemade glycol chillers getting their cf/unitanks down to the desired 28-30degF?

Is anyone with homemade glycol chillers getting their cf/unitanks down to the desired 28-30degF?
I don't think I've heard of anyone getting down below 34 using any glycol setup but that's definitely cold enough for most purposes as long as your not trying to do really highly carbonated beers finished in the conical. Cheers

My setup is an aluminum pot filled with glycol in a chest freezer. I can't get to below about 42. That is with just a neoprene jacket on the conical. (I have the SSBrewtech unitank) The heat exchange in the chest freezer is just not efficient enough. It struggles to bring temps down in the conical for crashing.

The other kicker is that the water in the glycol will condense in the chest freezer. Mine is quite a mess at this point. That is a big reason why I'm switching. I'm sure the purpose built chillers are more efficient at getting and keeping the glycol cold. My setup was only ever meant to be a stop gap. I had intended to go with a chiller, but am pretty sure I'm going to spend just a little bit more and get a glass front refrigerator. I have a 7 gallon conical, so lifting is still possible.

I can hit 31.5 with my diy glycol setup. Lowest I have got it was 31f with glycol set to 24f. I usually run it T 34f for 12hrs then 32f for the last 12hrs....happen to be crashing a batch (ambient is 70f)

Attachments

• IMG_2324.jpg
    IMG_2324.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 92
Last edited:
It won’t fit by a long shot. Way too tall.

Got it. I realize one of the reasons I picked Spike over SS is Spike gave me choice of whether to buy the chilling coil or not. If I had to get the coil I’m sure I’d build or buy glycol. Actually have been saving a brand new window AC we ended up not using for almost 2 years just to do that.

Anyone have an idea of what Spike usually does for Black Friday? Dragging my feet a little and feel like this coming week could do the trick.

Cheers! [emoji482]

I contacted Spike to ask. Their response was that they are going to offer a Black Friday deal, but it won't be on their conicals (and they couldn't tell me more than that).

Personally, I chose to sit out and wait to see what it is. End of October last year I was in the market for a custom Spike kettle. I asked if they had any upcoming sales, and they said they couldn't confirm any. All the forum posts indicated that Spike never did Black Friday sales in the past (and posts from Spike even indicating that they offer the lowest pricing they can afford 365 normally which is why they didn't do Black Friday sales), so I figured screw it and ordered a custom kettle early. It shipped on Halloween. Then Spike announced a Black Friday custom kettle discount. I asked Spike if they would make it "retroactive" to orders placed in the past 30 days or something, and they said no. I get Spike's position, but it left me feeling a little bit burned, considering I asked and did the research. Burned enough to wait to see what comes out.

I contacted Spike to ask. Their response was that they are going to offer a Black Friday deal, but it won't be on their conicals (and they couldn't tell me more than that).

Personally, I chose to sit out and wait to see what it is. End of October last year I was in the market for a custom Spike kettle. I asked if they had any upcoming sales, and they said they couldn't confirm any. All the forum posts indicated that Spike never did Black Friday sales in the past (and posts from Spike even indicating that they offer the lowest pricing they can afford 365 normally which is why they didn't do Black Friday sales), so I figured screw it and ordered a custom kettle early. It shipped on Halloween. Then Spike announced a Black Friday custom kettle discount. I asked Spike if they would make it "retroactive" to orders placed in the past 30 days or something, and they said no. I get Spike's position, but it left me feeling a little bit burned, considering I asked and did the research. Burned enough to wait to see what comes out.

Yeah... this is why (i feel, my opinion only) the truly top end brands don't do sales and have map. Like Blichmann. It sucks for the consumer but it also sucks when you look for weeks/months for "the best deal", pull the trigger, then it goes even cheaper later.

What is it- a week left? Might as well wait.

Anyone with a CF15 fermenting in an upright freezer? If so, what model freezer are you using? I want to get a future proof freezer in case I decide to upgrade past the CF5.

Yeah... this is why (i feel, my opinion only) the truly top end brands don't do sales and have map. Like Blichmann. It sucks for the consumer but it also sucks when you look for weeks/months for "the best deal", pull the trigger, then it goes even cheaper later.

What is it- a week left? Might as well wait.

I heard from what I would consider a reliable source that their Black Friday is featuring the Flex....at least on the fermenter side of their products. We shall see I suppose.

Anyone with a CF15 fermenting in an upright freezer? If so, what model freezer are you using? I want to get a future proof freezer in case I decide to upgrade past the CF5.

Wow. That would be a big jump possibly going from a CF5 to a CF15! What would cause that much of a change?

I heard from what I would consider a reliable source that their Black Friday is featuring the Flex....at least on the fermenter side of their products. We shall see I suppose.
Interesting... i wonder if the Flex did not take off as planned? I think by the time you get to that level... why not go full conical?

I'll check my model number when I get home. I'm pretty sure I posted it here somewhere previous but can't find it. Mine a Danby. That being said I think there all the same size more or less which is the same as a kitchen fridge. Mine has a slope in the bottom therefore required a shelf which reduces the headroom but it's not a issue for myself. Also mine is actually a fridge with no freezer portion that I bypassed the internal thermostat to allows me to get down as low as 14f. Bought it from a brewclub member for 50$. Cheers

Interesting... i wonder if the Flex did not take off as planned? I think by the time you get to that level... why not go full conical?

Yeah, that’s what I was thinking. They put a lot of marketing into the flex.

My opinion, those shopping fermenters in the Flex and especially Flex Plus price range will just go with a conical.

Yes I’ve got CF15 in Frigidaire 20.2 frost free freezer.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/frigid...upright-freezer-white/8943667.p?skuId=8943667
I bought this one, think it was closer to $600 when I got it, kenmore sells same unit you can shop around. Electrolux makes both Frigidaire and Kenmore.

I went w a glycol chiller because my-purchased new-chest freezer/ferm chamber gave up the ghost after 5 years of use. I'm hoping the glycol chiller lasts longer. I do have to wrap the conical in a sleeping bag for optimal performance-the same one I use on my Spike mash tun.

I went with the glycol chiller route for: 1) Planning for possible future growth; I automatically have chilling for another fermenter, and I don't have space for two fermenter fridges; 2) I don't like the idea of moving a CF10 with legs in and out of a fridge -- filled or not (definitely not if filled). If I was using smaller (5-7 gal), then that's a different story; and 3) I like having easy access to all of the fermenter at any time. A smaller point is that it's a little easier to clean a floor that a fridge (which may have a fermenter in it). And there is always cleaning involved:oops:. Having had my Icemaster/CF10 combo for several brews, I'm thoroughly convinced it was the right call and don't have many/any downsides I can point to (other than cost!).

I went with the glycol chiller route for: 1) Planning for possible future growth; I automatically have chilling for another fermenter, and I don't have space for two fermenter fridges; 2) I don't like the idea of moving a CF10 with legs in and out of a fridge -- filled or not (definitely not if filled). If I was using smaller (5-7 gal), then that's a different story; and 3) I like having easy access to all of the fermenter at any time. A smaller point is that it's a little easier to clean a floor that a fridge (which may have a fermenter in it). And there is always cleaning involved:oops:. Having had my Icemaster/CF10 combo for several brews, I'm thoroughly convinced it was the right call and don't have many/any downsides I can point to (other than cost!).

All good points to choose glycol and of course if you prefer it for any reason you made the correct choice. Just to add for new people looking for pros/cons most of us using freezers/fridges pump into our conicals as lifting it full isn't really a option, don't use leg extensions as transfers are done using co2 and there wouldn't be headroom and it makes it very top heavy, and at least personally have wheels on there freezer/fridge allowing the fermentor to be easily moved when full if required. Cheers

I stumbled onto this post in another thread. Next week will be the first time I use Spike's carb stone on my CF10. I planned on carbing at 36F at 10 psi to roughly get 2.5 (2.47 per chart) CO2 volume.

Do you believe at that CO2 level that it is still possible to pour through Spike's sample valve and not get foaming? I was thinking I would need to buy another sample valve along with a sampling "pigtail" coil to avoid foaming issues.

All I will be trying to do is to determine if the carbonation level is at my desired level prior to bottling...
There's a pint poured in about 10 seconds thru the sample port at 2.47 fwiw. Cheers
20191123_203312.jpeg

Hey all. Thought i would help add some insight. Just fwiw, anecdotal, etc. etc.

I have a cf5 with a 5.5% abv.
Have the neoprene jacket.
Cold crashing today.
Started at 9:30am, got to 36 at 1:10pm (4 hours).
Ambient temps close to 63 or so.
Glycol appc 33%, distilled h20 appx 66%.
Penguin 1/3 hp set to 28, with a 1 degree differinital.. (Standard differential setting).
Changed coil cool "in" at 39.1 (as per instruction manual).

Will let this stay at 36 for a bit... may try to push lower temp in a bit. Maybe say 32?

So... pretty super easy to get to 36 with ambient temps. If it was summet, my ac would be at may 78 or so.. give or take... so it may pick up more ambient heat. Ymmv.

All be dang . I never even knew that . I never even paid attention. I would have never guessed it would even make a difference. Thank you for that link !
There is a lot of extra info on the Spike page... thoose handouts, faq's, etc. Like a lot. Not saying it is all accurate, but i have found much of it helpful.

Note- 36 was holding, so dropped to 35. Probanly going to do 1 degree at a time, see how it handles.

Back