Spike Brewing CF10 Conical

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Please see attached for pre-production temp controller. It will have a set point and temp read out. It will be closed loop utilizing the sanitary thermowell our conical comes with standard. The temp coil will drop in through the 4" port in the lid. The controller will regulate a pump for cooling and heating pad for warming. It will also include a jacket.

You would not be able to carb at 65 degrees. You'll want to cold crash to ~35F, dump out sediment and then start carbonation process. Should be fully carbed up in 24hrs.

2 questions.

1. do you plan on offering jacket/coil/heater/controller as a package with a small discount?

2. is the sight glass safe to 15 psi?

Next up, the sample port!

Like all of our other fittings the sample port utilizes a sanitary welded 1.5" TC fitting. For reasons explained before, this is the only connection that should be used on a fermenter. Our sample valve is a sanitary design with no ball that can trap liquid which can harbor bacteria.

The sample port is super handy for taking gravity readings during fermentation. This design is taken directly from what the pro brewers use.

Since we designed our conicals to be as modular as possible the thermowell/thermometer can be moved from the top port down to the lower sample port for smaller batches. The sample valve can then be attached to the lower racking port butterfly valve. This allows all of our fermenters to accommodate a full batch as well as a half batch.

19665616_1567013203322581_1321701201995158443_n.jpg

Spike - a couple of questions on this...

(1) When you move the thermowell to the lower port, do you have to tape a thermocouple in so that it doesn't slide out? I'm assuming that the thermowell would now be at an angle rather than horizontal.

(2) When attaching the sample valve to the racking port butterfly, does this prevent you from being able to use the racking arm attachment?

Thanks.

Spike,

The new conical looks absolutely gorgeous! Well thought out design, thank you for that.

I'm still enjoying my fairly new Spike Brew Kettles and won't be able to order the conical for a while. But I will dream of the day I can make the purchase. I'll be saving my pennies :)

Just wanted to extend a thank you on a job well done! (did I really see 15psi...nice!)

Dan

2 questions.

1. do you plan on offering jacket/coil/heater/controller as a package with a small discount?

2. is the sight glass safe to 15 psi?

We do plan on offer our complete package with a discount compared to buying everything individually. I'll need to check with engineering about the sight glass up to 15psi.

Spike - a couple of questions on this...

(1) When you move the thermowell to the lower port, do you have to tape a thermocouple in so that it doesn't slide out? I'm assuming that the thermowell would now be at an angle rather than horizontal.

(2) When attaching the sample valve to the racking port butterfly, does this prevent you from being able to use the racking arm attachment?

Thanks.

I use a piece of masking tape to hold the temp sensor when installed in the sample port. The racking arm would still be able to be used with the sample valve on the end of the racking port.

We do plan on offer our complete package with a discount compared to buying everything individually. I'll need to check with engineering about the sight glass up to 15psi.

I use a piece of masking tape to hold the temp sensor when installed in the sample port. The racking arm would still be able to be used with the sample valve on the end of the racking port.

I use a cable connector. You can get at lowes or homie d. Ask for romex connectors. Works perfect.

Mine came in Wednesday but I haven't had time to go pick it up(won't ever let FedEx deliver anything valuable again). Hopefully will get out of work early enough today to pick it up and assemble everything.

It has arrived and it is a thing of beauty! Very well packaged in doublewall box. Let me tell you, the lid port welds are a work of art. Very satisfied and can't wait to get the rest of my equipment to try it out.

Please see attached for pre-production temp controller. It will have a set point and temp read out. It will be closed loop utilizing the sanitary thermowell our conical comes with standard. The temp coil will drop in through the 4" port in the lid. The controller will regulate a pump for cooling and heating pad for warming. It will also include a jacket.

You would not be able to carb at 65 degrees. You'll want to cold crash to ~35F, dump out sediment and then start carbonation process. Should be fully carbed up in 24hrs.

Spike,

Do you plan for your temperature control system to be a package, e.g. neoprene jacket/controller/heater/glycol pump, or is the general idea more of a part by part offering?

Thanks.

Spike,

Do you plan for your temperature control system to be a package, e.g. neoprene jacket/controller/heater/glycol pump, or is the general idea more of a part by part offering?

Thanks.

both ways. see post #44

Spike, this looks great. What size tubing connects to the chilling coil? Does the tubing just attach with worm clamps or is some other fitting required?

Spike,

If I could make one recommendation...bend the cooling coil tubes 90 degrees at the connection points so they are horizontal vice vertical for ease of hose connection (most will likely have their chiller located below the CF10 top).

Cheers!

I'm ready to order but want the complete package. Unitank,chilling coil,neoprene jacket, temp controller, pump and carb stone. How soon will this be available?

I already got the fermenter and coil and am waiting for jacket specifically.

For those that bought the CF10...how are you doing your cooling/heating ?
Anyone tried carbonating there brew? I'm torn between the Spike & SS unitank since Spike has not yet offered the full package.

For those that bought the CF10...how are you doing your cooling/heating ?
Anyone tried carbonating there brew? I'm torn between the Spike & SS unitank since Spike has not yet offered the full package.

I have a stand up frezeer. Fits perfect. I havnt carbed in it yet. I didnt get the pr valve yet.

I have mine in a side by side refrigerator. I had my Vienna lager down to 32 after fermentation. Did a closed transfer which went great.

Latest posts

Back