Spike 30 Conical question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tommy24a

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Fermenting in spike conical with gas pressure manifold in place...should I have a blow off tube in place instead? I notice the pressure builds up almost to the prv 15psi release. Not sure if most folks ferment in these conical with blow off tubes or not.

Use a spunding valve to release pressure BEFORE the PRV trips. The PRV is NOT intended to be used as a pressure fermentation release/spunding valve.

I have the SS Brew Tech spunding valves on both of my Spike conical fermenters. Simply set to the pressure level you don't want to exceed, put Starsan in the cup (to above the holes) and let it rock and roll.

I've NOT used a blowoff tube, or airlock, since I've been using spunding valves. First with kegmenters and now with the two conical fermenters.

https://www.ssbrewtech.com/collections/accessories/products/sspunding-valveSs Brewtech Sspunding Valve - Scaled (Up to 3BBL) | MoreBeer <-- same one just free shipping from MoreBeer

I have one on each of my CF10's right now. I've used the Blowtie items in the past on kegmenters, which worked better than the other types. But the ones from SS Brew Tech work really well on conical fermenters.

I increase the rating on them when carbonating in fermenter, or at least ensure that they are set for a higher level than what I'm sending through the carbonation stone. When fermenting a pale ale, I typically set it to about 5-6psi. When fermenting stouts and other big beers, I set it to 10-12psi. I'm also fermenting at about 70F for all batches (about the middle of the temperature range for the yeasts I use) via a glycol chiller setup.

I still have the gas manifold on the conical while using the spunding valve. That allows me to see the pressure level in fermenter. It also allows me to do a CO2 purge, even though I do a closed transfer into fermenter after I pitch the yeast in. I then charge the fermenter to about 2psi and let it run. That way I KNOW when things are really kicking inside.

I also have one of the SS Brew Tech inline oxygenation kits on the wort out port of my plate chiller. This allows me to oxygenate the wort faster/easier than using a stone on a wand.

Action shot from Monday:
PXL_20210720_000201518.jpg

Back