Spigoted Ale Pail: Better Bottle Adapters Ok?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobbyBeers

Reaction score
I'm hoping someone who has experience with the Better Bottle spigot systems can shed some light on the following question.

I'm making the move away from glass to ale pails. I'm also sold on the idea of doing primary in a pail with a spigot. I'm pretty sure that, if I sanitize carefully, the generic bottling bucket spigots would be ok; but, I'm taking a close look at the Better Bottle spigot systems, since they seem easier to keep clean.

According to the Better Bottle site, there are two different kits for attaching their spigots, the Carboy Racking Adapter and the Pail Racking Adapter (link: http://www.better-bottle.com/products_master.html).

Even though I'm using pails, I like the carboy kit better, since it includes a diptube. Offhand I can't think of a reason why the carboy kit wouldn't also work on a pail, unless the dimensions are off---but alas, there are no dimensions listed on the site.

Anyone have any idea if this is feasible? That's some expensive plastic, and it's harder to convince myself to pony up for pail kit if it doesn't add anything special (i.e., a diptube).

Thanks.

I just use the spigots from William's brewing and order the inverted backing nuts at the same time. Then just cut about 1 1/2 '' off of a racking cane or equivalent plastic tube for a dip tube. It drains the entire pail while using as a bottle bucket without the need for tipping.

As a primary fermenter, the inverted backing nut keeps the trub and yeast out of the spigot and you can maneuver it to the level you desire. I take it apart after use and toss the spigot into my starsan bucket after rinsing it out. When putting it back into the primary fermenter, I cap the end of the spigot which keeps things clean and sanitized.

I was making my own inverted backing nuts for hardware store plastic spigots, but the William's spigot and nuts are inexpensive and work well.

"If you don't know history, it's as if you were born yesterday." Howard Zinn

Great...and good luck. My buddies liked mine so well I ended up making several buckets for all of them. Making my own 3 or 4 buckets was fun, making 2 or 3 for 4 others...not so much.

Back