Spigot or Siphon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Knotquiterite

Reaction score
This is my first attempt at brewing with a Coopers brew kit. I decided not to use the Lager ingredients that came with the kit and went with a robust cocoa porter. I am about 7 days away from bottling and I notice that the yeast cake is sitting close to the spigot and I am worried about carrying the yeast into the bottle. This might be a fools question but would it be better to tilt back the rack to allow for the yeast cake sit to away from the spigot or siphon across to another rack and then bottle?

For this being my first brew, I am wanting to do it right. Thanks for any input.

Knotquiterite said:
This is my first attempt at brewing with a Coopers brew kit. I decided not to use the Lager ingredients that came with the kit and went with a robust cocoa porter. I am about 7 days away from bottling and I notice that the yeast cake is sitting close to the spigot and I am worried about carrying the yeast into the bottle. This might be a fools question but would it be better to tilt back the rack to allow for the yeast cake sit to away from the spigot or siphon across to another rack and then bottle?

For this being my first brew, I am wanting to do it right. Thanks for any input.

If you are going to tilt it, do it soon. That will give the yeast time to shift and resettle.

Although I am new to brewing myself, from reading around. IF you are to use the spigot and dont want to get the yeast cake from the bottom (near the spigot) tilt it back a day or two in advance so that any disturbed yeast and trub(what the stuff on the bottom is called) on the bottom will settle in its new area and not affect your bottling process when it comes time. You will lose some of your beer but this is a way you could do it if you didnt have a siphon.

Majority of brewers on these forums use an auto siphon to rack the beer into a bottling bucket with a spigot and a bottling wand/tube near the bottom. Here is an example i got just from searching bottling bucket (to make sure you know what Im talking about) & http://www.ritebrew.com/product-p/863202.htm?gclid=CKOTzKy50LQCFQpgMgodemwA2g

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the feedback folks! Just placed a 2x4 under front. In two weeks I will enjoy popping the top on the ski lift.

Cheers

In the future, you could avoid the choice by using a plain bucket to ferment, then rack to the bottling bucket with spigot on the day or day before you bottle. You won't have to worry at all about a trub/yeast cake. Good luck with bottling today.

Latest posts

Back