Spigot Installation on Bayou Classic 8 gal pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nebraskan

Assoc. Winemaker
Reaction score
Just got this in the Bayou Classic 1032 8 -Gallon (32 quart) SS Spigot Stockpot in the mail today. The installation instructions that came with it for installing the SS 1/2" ball valve are really vague. It has, what looks like, a SS thread protector that I did not use. I did use 2 of the SS nuts with the recess for the "O" ring and put the flat neoprene washer up against the outside nut and installed the ball valve up against it. Doesn't leak, but it is a bit "wobbly".

Does anyone have a good diagram or idea on how these 1/2" ball valves are supposed to be assembled on this pot? Do I use that threaded SS tube on the inside?

Pictures would be great!

Not sure what you mean by thread protector but I suspect it is a Coupler...threaded complete so you can attach a male threaded a) bazooka tube, or b) 90 degree street elbow or c) any male threaded contraption....

I have sold these but cannot remember the configuration exactly but I do recall the "wobbly" effect. Sorry I can't remember what we did to get rid of it.may have added a flat SS washer..but try the washer inside and see if that helps eliminate wobbly and does not leak...I believe it is food grade.

Here ya go, Jay!

inside_pot.jpg

kettle_outside_valve.jpg

I have the 16 gallon version... I do not recall having or using that silicone washer on the outside... Your should have a red silicone oring under the nut on the inside and that should do all the sealing. I used teflon tape to install the ball valve on the nipple on the outside.

I have the 16 gallon version... I do not recall having or using that silicone washer on the outside... Your should have a red silicone o-ring under the nut on the inside and that should do all the sealing. I used Teflon tape to install the ball valve on the nipple on the outside.

I used Teflon tape installing the ball valve as well I also used the red silicone O ring on the inside as well as on the nut on the outside and tightened down good. Came with 2 wrenches. I contacted "The Bayou" www.thebayou.com today and talked about what I did. Guy agreed that it should be fine. They include that steel piece (what I called a thread protector) in case I wanted to install it on the inside to attache some sort of screening or other device inside the pot. I also put plumber Teflon tape on the insert/barb I got in the mail today 1/2 x 1/4 barb. Hope the pictures help.

Back