Spider Mites?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iowabrew

Reaction score
Yes another spider mite thread. I have two plants going now, a fuggle and cascade, neither one has any visible damage to it, but the rest of the garden is anothe story. My ghost chili plants have taken a beating lately. I have what looks like spider mites, if i shake my plants usually 5-10 little white spiders fall out and proceed to climb their webs back under the leaves. I can visibly see them in the palm of my hand if i pick them up, but they are no bigger than a pin dot. They are always white with what looks like a little black to them.

From looking around the net, spider mites are usually hard to see. I've been spraying with a miticide about every 4 days and it's slowly diminishing. My concern is that they are friend rather than foe. If i get a chance to snap a pic i will. But could this be a mite infestation?

Those don't sound like spider mites. Spider mites dont spin typical webs, and certainly don't climb up their webbing. Sounds like you have some other kind of spider.

What does the damage look like?

damage is mostly leaf damage, almost looks burnt. leaves get very "crispy" and are now starting to get eaten.

Spidermites do have webs, they are very fine, and many times look like a cross between a silkworm web and a spider's weavings, kind of like the fluff in a cottonwood. Generally, The only time they would appear mostly white is when they are babies, appearing almost transluscent. Usually they have more of a greenish, reddish, brownish tinge ime. Your leaves would start to look like they are burning (bronzing), but if you have large concentrations you should be able to see distinct webs. While you could have a spider mite infestation, I would be careful, because most white spiders are actually beneficial to gardens. It could be your leaf issues are caused by a fungus or something of the like. In which case you could use liquid copper or an alternative to try and control the fungus.

It is not uncommon, and is in fact common to have problems with both, as both are common. Perhaps try some insecticidal soap and a light application of a fungicide. There are plenty of organic pest control methods (tobacco, cayenne, soap) and disease control (Neem oil, copper, bicarbonates, sulfur).

Is it safe at this point to use something for spider mites if my hops are coning? If so what can I use that wont hurt the cones and keep them from adding chemicals to my brew?

I hit em with a alcohol/water solution since its supposed to kill on contact. If things get worse I'll get some organicide. Good to know it's ok to do though.

Back