Spicing my wheat beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickel23

Reaction score
I am going to be brewing a "three Weisse guys' wheat beer and I want to give it a unique flavor. At what point do I add the fresh orange zest and coriander to the boil? I was thinking the last 10 minutes of the boil.

When I made my wit beer I added coriander at 10 minutes and sweet orange peel at about five. Be careful with the coriander though I may have overdid it a bit because I didn't get much of the orange peel coming through.

Thank you. How much coriander and orange peel did you use? I am going to brew a 5 gallon batch. Also, I had a friend bake the orange peel prior to using it. Thoughts? I was just thinking fresh orange zest.

I think I used an ounce of each. My fermentation was also way too hot due to 85 degree weather and a broken ac so that may have had a negative effect. As for the baking of the orange peel I've never done it but if it tastes good I'm sure it'll be good. I think next time I'm going to rack onto some fresh oranges to get a bit more orange flavor.

I am going to be brewing a "three Weisse guys' wheat beer

You definitely need a funny label for a "3 white guys" beer...all kinds of good possibilities there. :D

I haven't spiced anything before, but most good recipes and people in the know seem to add at the 5-10 minute mark, if they add in the boil. Others like the soak in vodka, add to secondary/bottling bucket method. I suppose either would work.

Lol. Thanks for the info. I will add coriander and zest at the 5-10 minute mark and maybe some orange slices in the secondary. It will all depend on the mood I am in. Happy brewing !

Another thing to consider: the dried stuff that you see in HB shops often contains a fair amount of pith. Pith is bad stuff. I'd lean towards zesting your own, and making sure to avoid the pith, if at all possible. It'll make for a better end product, without a doubt.

My intentions were to zest my own, so the works out well. I don't want to over do the coriander, but I will go maybe an ounce of coriander and 2 ounces of zest. I want the orange to come through.

Back