Spices in Nut Brown Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

held79

Reaction score
I've made a nut brown ale kit from munton's that I really like but would like to change it up a bit. I've heard talk of adding spices but I'm very inexperienced in what or how much to add. Does anyone have suggestions on what might go well with it? The kit makes 6 gal.

Here's my Nut Brown. It's pretty simple and I've brewed it a couple ways with good success. There is a mild nutty aftertaste. Be advised..I don't pay real close attention to keeping within style color standards. It may be a hair darker than most. I think adding a spice might mask or dominate the nutty undertones provided by the grains. The nutty character can be hard to get to come through as it is without the spice. My goal is smooth and clean with a slight nuttiness/bitterness aftertaste. I haven't strayed from Willamette hops on this one so I can't say how other varieties would affect the nuttiness.

For your review:

Hack's Nut Brown:

9 lb Pale Malt
1 lb crystal 40L
0.5 lb Amber Malt
0.5 lb Chocolate Malt

1 oz Williamette 45min
0.5 oz Williamette 10min
0.5 oz Williamette 5 min
1 oz Williamette 1 min

===Alt hops profile===
1.5 oz Willamette at 45 min
0.5 oz Willamette at 5 min
================

Wyeast American Ale Yeast

Got about half a keg in the fridge right now...

rogue adds 1/8oz of hazelnut flavoring to their hazelnut brown nectar. you could try something like that

Back