Spiced rum ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TommyB

Reaction score
Im i big beer fan and also a RUM fan.

So In efforts to use up some ingredients I have extra of, I was thinking of brewing up a partial boil extract recipe with the following ingredients:

6 LBS Wheat LME
6 LBS LIGHT LME
2 LBS corn sugar

1 oz Citra 60 min
1 oz Cascade 15 min

Areate with Oxygen before pitching on top of a pale ale cake to start with.

After a few days, pitch a big starter of WLP099 (made with wort from the original boil).

After fermentation ends, transfer to secondary and dry hop with 2 oz cascade and a 750ml bottle of captain morgans....

I would be kegging and force carbing

Anyone ever use and entire bottle of alcohol in a 5 gallon batch?

any thoughts, comments or experiences would be appreciated.....

Thanks

Itll kill all the beer flavor, me thinks. I suggest starting small, bc you can always add more.

I did a bourbon ale not long ago, and used less than 3oz. It's very bourbony.

aside from flavor, youll run into issues with head retention and potentially carbonation, if using bottles.

Most I've ever added straight was about 3 cups worth...

2 cups I cooked down on the stove to kill the alcohol but preserve the rum flavor the 3rd cup I added straight.

A full liter seems like a lot...its also really going to jack up your ABV in a 5g batch. I want to say the 1 cup added 1% point so you're looking at 3% more.

I've found if I want some rum flavor (and typically I pair it with Oak) but I do 1-2 oak spirals soaked in 6-8oz of rum and call it a day.

Let me know what you do and how it comes out if you go for the full 750ml

Yeah I had thought about the boiling off the alcohol to keep the rum flavor.....but I kinda want the ABV jacked up along with the rum flavor....

This whole idea was kind of an experiment to see if I could have a fairly decent beer with a VERY high abv that had some of the spiced rum flavors.

I wonder if I use molasses instead of the corn sugar?

I wonder if anyone has used those liquor essence flavorings in a brew??

LIKE THIS----->http://www.homebrewing.org/Spiced-Rum-Flavoring-Essence-Swish-Barrel_p_1983.html

Have you tasted Innis&Gunn Rum Cask? I guess U could brew something like 93% pale-ale, 5% Cara80L, 2% Roasted Barley. With some Golgings for 20ebu and soak some oak chips/cubes on rum for few weeks. Rack the beer over the oak after primary fermentation.

Never had that one. Sounds good. Maybe I'll scale it down to a gallon batch with a scaled down version of the rum and see what happens.

Back