Spent grains and composting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The truth is, in vegetables, most nutients are lost due to cooking. Grains are different in that out digestive systems do not fully digest them.

That really depends on what you are and or are not cooking. Cooked carrots for example have more available nutrients than raw carrots.

As far as the smell goes it is due to what is called anaerobic digestion (meaning without air) by using a pitch fork or forked spade and turning the compost over exposing it to air that will help and one of the reasons leaves and grass clipping help is because there is oxygen in the space it creates. Whereas spent grains are compacted and between that and the water in the grains there is not much if any oxygen for an aerobic digestion. So the anaerobic digestion process starts. By the same token if you take a pitch fork and get the grains nice and fluffed up at the start the aerobic digestion process will begin.

But by turning the compost beds contents over you can go from anaerobic digestion, which stinks to aerobic digestion which does not stink but rather has the smell of freely dug earth.

The choice is yours.

I just spread mine over the yard, or dump them on the tree mulch because it pisses off one of my neighbors.

I have the best grass on the block, so the grass truly is greener where the grains are spread as organic fertilizer

I have a retention pond across the street from my house. Grass clippings and spent grains get spread out on the banks of the retention pond. I figure the neighborhood birds and furry critters appreciate it, and after a hard rain or big snow, they magically disappear.

My dogs love the spent grains

I don't sweeten them up I just bake them in the oven @ 350' for 30 minutes. Break it up into chunks. Can't give them too much though because of the fibre :) Montanaandy

alot of times I just dig a trench next to my veggies,dump them in,cover them up. then next year I move veggie row over to where I burried the grains and start over. Yes they can STINK!

They smell like an elementary school nurse station during flu season... VOMIT.

I just checked my compost pile from last weeks brew. Lots of flies and I took a stick and poked around and stirred up a bunch of maggots. I guess that's part of the break down process.Maybe I should have mixed it all up with the rest of the stuff.

If you mix it all up and get oxygen in there on a regular basis there wont be maggots (that is if you have a good balance of compost material)

Mine is more of a compost pile, than bin by the edge of the property that is wooded.
I toss the grains on top of the pile, and there gone by the next day or so: deer.
(aka Big PA white tailed rats.)

60% Browns/40% Greens is a balanced compost pile. Aeration is key to keeping it hot because the microbes need oxygen to continue breaking down the organics. Turn the pile at least once a week if you use bins or better yet, build another bin and pitch it from one to the other every week. A good hot pile that is well aerated can be ready for the garden in 2 months.

Latest posts

Back