Spenda fg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnyb73

Reaction score
Hi All!! I have put 1/2 of a cup of splenda in my 5 gallon batch of apfelwein with the hopes of having it a little sweeter.
My question is, will this have an effect on my fg reading?
It's been in the carboy for 3 weeks & the fg hasn't changed in the last 3 days & seems to be at 1008.
Thanks for your help:rockin:

I wouldn't think splenda would have much, if any, effect on your SG. As far as I know, it doesn't contain any fermentables, so it would add a sugary taste without any more alcohol. Interesting thought, let us know how it turns out.

Yes, splenda is a disolved sugar that will have a direct effect on your SG reading. 1/2 cup isn't a lot, though, so I wouldn't expect it to change it that much.

Adding splenda WILL have an effect on your SG, as would adding any other solute. Because it won't be fermented, though, it will increase both your OG AND your FG. Thus, the difference (which, when multiplied by 131, is your alcohol content) will remain unchanged.

Thus. . .

[OG-FG] x 131 = ABV = [(OG+S)-(FG+S)] x 131​

. . . where S = the increase in gravity caused by the Splenda addition.

Thank you very much! this totally helps.
My mistake , it was actually a full cup of splenda per 5 gallons.
Thanks for the quick replies:mug:

SPLENDA Granular product does contain fermentable carbohydrate (maltodextrin) per 0.5 g serving

http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/dockets/04p0294/04P-0294_EMC-000002-02.pdf

It can't be called sugar free unless under 0.5g per serving although the exact amount is not specified. If the product can be fermented, I'm guessing you may get some nasty by products so wouldn't recommend it, but it sounds like its too late, so let us know the results. I actually think there's some chlorine molecules in it somewhere.

if the product can be fermented, I'm guessing you may get some nasty by products

Home brewers add splenda all the time, especially when they're making fruit beers. Personally, it's not my favorite addition. But I also wouldn't worry that you've ruined your batch. ESPECIALLY if you only added a half cup.

Back