Speidel fermenter owners, question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BxBrewer

Reaction score
What size tube are you using to the racking valve ? I mic'ed it at a shade under 1/2 in ?

I use the same 1/2" silicone tubing from my brew rig, I just slide it as far up the spigot as it will go.

FYI, 1/2" silicon tubing also fits in the red stopper hole to act as a blowoff tube if you have something really foamy.

For what it's worth, I ended up just using the flat cover over that bottom inlet (and not the spigot). I had thought I could get a yeast free transfer at its height, but it never seems to work for me. I rack out the top with my auto-siphon as I would a carboy.

FYI, 1/2" silicon tubing also fits in the red stopper hole to act as a blowoff tube if you have something really foamy.

For what it's worth, I ended up just using the flat cover over that bottom inlet (and not the spigot). I had thought I could get a yeast free transfer at its height, but it never seems to work for me. I rack out the top with my auto-siphon as I would a carboy.

When I use my Spiedel, I put a small wedge or something to have the port side angled up so the yeast settle on the other side. This allows me to rack very clear beer.

Meaning you have it tilted back away from the spigot throughout fermentation? And then you rack it in place to a keg/bottling bucket?

Even after you move the primary. The yeast cake is not solid. I had planned to do this as well. The day before I plan to rack from the fermenter I place it on my bench . That way it has time to settle again .

I too haven't had a problem with the additional head space, although I have probably only put 25 gallons through my Spedel (5 batches).

I primary for 3 weeks and then gravity flow to the bottling bucket. A series of problems with my auto-siphon led to frustrating bottling days. That prompted my Speidel purchase and I haven't looked back. I really enjoy having taken the auto-siphon out of my operating procedures. I like the idea of the wedge mentioned previously, but haven't seen the need myself. Trub carryover is minimal to nonexistent for me and what little makes it to the bottling bucket seems to get hung up there.

If only I could fit two Speidels into my fermentation fridge, then life would be grand (buying a bigger fridge isn't in the cards right now).

Latest posts

Back