Speidel Fermenter and Oxidation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beefy620

Reaction score
Did a few searches on this topic couldn't find concrete discussion.

I have some 60L Speidel fermenters. I generally do 10g batches, and am getting frustrated with my last few batches. I have tastes the hydrometer sample taken to make sure I've achieved full attenuation and they have tasted great. So I have then proceeded to cold crash, some where into the 40's, and keg. I'm thinking oxidation is taking place during the cold crash due to the 5+ gallons headspace.

Has anyone else experienced this if so any solutions. Short of not cold crashing in these fermenters?

Thanks

I use the 30L and rack to keg, purge with CO2 then cold crash. I've not had any issues with this method (if that helps).

I always rack to kegs first then cold crash. But as far as doing it that way, I'd guess that you either have a leak in your lid seal (check your gasket) or your airlock is getting suck back. I'd be extremely concerned if you have 5 gallons of oxygen sitting on your beer after fermentation and not co2 :confused: Head space there shouldn't be an issue.

I use 60L Spiedels btw. One thing I could suggest I guess would be to swap your airlock for co2 when you go to cold crash. To do this, you could either use your rubber stopper or the screw on cap with a hole and grommet in it, with a cut racking arm or just tubing inserted and connected to a co2 tank set to extremely low pressure. This would keep co2 pressure in the head space as it cold crashes instead of any possible oxygen (since beer absorbs co2 as it gets colder). Kinda a process as opposed to transferring to keg first.

I use the 30L and rack to keg, purge with CO2 then cold crash. I've not had any issues with this method (if that helps).

I believe I will be doing this going forward at least to see how it works. Rack directly into CO2 purged keg, and proceed to cold crash in the keg. *fingers crossed*

Thanks for the feedback

Back